Green Card cover

Churchy

VIP Member
Hi all,

Anyone offer any green card advice in the current minefield of EU changes?! Basically I get the standard 90 days with my current insurer Direct Line and have 18 days left to use until May 2021 when the 90 days will renew. Trouble is I need more than the 90 days annually so am trying to find an insurer that can offer this without charging ridiculous money. Just had a quote from HIC for 1k which included 365days green card cover - enough cover but flipping expensive given I currently pay £300 with DL! Brentacre do more than 90days but only if its a camper van.

One option seems to be use the 90days cover that most insurers use and then take out a new policy with someone else!

Any help would be well received!

Last edited:
Update is I can cancel with current insurer pay a £48 canx fee but get £86 refund pro rata, take out a new policy and get a new set of 90 days green cad / foreign use extension. They’ll then get that £86 back over the course of rest of this year into next when I pay a supplement to use the foreign use / green card option!

Am I missing a trick here or maybe insurers / underwriters are given that after 31st Dec there may be quite a lot of people who are going to require more than 90days European cover extensions?!

At the moment I've been advised that the maximum amount of time we can spend in the EU after 31st December is 90 days concurrently, unless you have a work or residency permit.
I still have no guidance on what other permits, visas, etc are required to drive in the EU after Brexit.

Thanks Sparkywig - yes think its 90days in any 180 so technically you could get the eurotunnel back stay in Folkestone overnight then go back again!!!!?

Insurance wise I think I’m just going to cancel my policy a few days before we go and then take out a new policy with the same provider to get my new 90 days foreign use insurance upgrade.

As far as other paperwork I believe international driving permits will be required which can be obtained from the post office for £5.50 with a passport photo.

If you leave UK soil before the 31st and before that date there is no clear instruction on what you do and don’t need paperwork wise then who knows!

Back