Triggering the heated windscreen and wing mirrors remotely.

snoop6060

T6 Pro
I should have never have got this van. Always liked hacking about with stuff but the most expensive thing I've generally messed with is a fridge! Then I got a T6, bad idea.

So I have installed a GSM relay into my lesuire electrics. I can trigger 4 different circuits from an app and have 2 spare. Wondering if I can use one to turn on the heated windscreen and wing mirrors? Already does the heated seats but they are easy as retro fitted. Was just gonna tap the switch wire but then thought I'd ask before breaking something.

Also not sure the heated windscreen would actually defrost if frozen? It doesn't get very warm so might not be worth it. Wont be long before I can test this mind.

Cheers
Si

Okey dokey. If it only works with the engine on then might be a no goer. Unless I can trick it somehow or provide the power another way. To be fair remotely triggering the gas heater and heated seats will probably be enough to defrost the windscreen if given 15mins or so.

That's been explored. Need to find a way of dropping the clutch remotely.

That's been explored. Need to find a way of dropping the clutch remotely.
It must just be an electrical signal to the BCM? Is a remote starting alarm not available commercially? If so they must have found a way round it.

My car has a remote start as standard and although for some reason it won't let you remotely put the heated screen or seats on, it will let you turn the heating up full, so when I'm working and not in the multi-storey I can trigger it when I leave work and when I get to the car 7-8 minutes later the windows are all clear. Very useful timesaver in the winter.

It must just be an electrical signal to the BCM? Is a remote starting alarm not available commercially? If so they must have found a way round it.

My car has a remote start as standard and although for some reason it won't let you remotely put the heated screen or seats on, it will let you turn the heating up full, so when I'm working and not in the multi-storey I can trigger it when I leave work and when I get to the car 7-8 minutes later the windows are all clear. Very useful timesaver in the winter.
Anyone had remote engine start added?

There are other threads too.

Not saying it defiantly can't be done but if travelvolts says it will be a PITA then in my eyes it's safe to say it won't be an easy project.

Ah ok. Not something I'd be looking to fit and I wouldn't have paid extra for it, but I have to put my foot on the brake to start my car and I can also remote start it so there are solutions, but maybe they would have to come from the manufacturer.

Sure :)

QK-G022 GSM SMS Remote Controller with Enclosure

60quid off eBay. You can control it via text or an app. Trigger a relay or check a relay is on or off. It has sensor input as well if you wanted to so some of remote monitoring for gas leaks as well.

Edit: the relays are also programmable so if you do trigger say your heated seats, you can have it shut off after 30mins in case you ended up not getting in your van.

Sure :)

QK-G022 GSM SMS Remote Controller with Enclosure

60quid off eBay. You can control it via text or an app. Trigger a relay or check a relay is on or off. It has sensor input as well if you wanted to so some of remote monitoring for gas leaks as well.

Edit: the relays are also programmable so if you do trigger say your heated seats, you can have it shut off after 30mins in case you ended up not getting in your van.

I like tinkering and I'm ordering one of these before I even think what I'm going to do with it :D :thumbsup:

I like tinkering and I'm ordering one of these before I even think what I'm going to do with it :D :thumbsup:
In fact I've already thought. I'm in the process of adding an internal motion sensor, via an arduino, to my perimeter-only alarm. But this board has an input for a sensor, triggers for relays, and it could text me when the alarm was triggered!

It's exactly what I did and to be fair it's pretty good. And yes you can do that.

Not sure if the Twitter API still has SMS support. But if it does you could route that alarm via Twitter and get it in notification form on any/multiple devices. I'm messing with doing the oposite with alexa. Basically working out if I can turn my heated seats and heater on from home via alexa. Fairly sure I can but not quite worked it out yet.

My module arrived today and I've ordered a PAYG sim for it so hopefully get round to playing with it next week. Bit annoying that the IOS app isn't available on the UK store though

I'm messing with doing the oposite with alexa. Basically working out if I can turn my heated seats and heater on from home via alexa. Fairly sure I can but not quite worked it out yet.

Look into IFTTT - Alexa commands can be set for triggering IFTTT triggers...

Back