Trickle charging when solar panels are covered in winter

joe_j_barnes

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi

newbie question

my van is due this week and I’ve built an area on my drive where the van will reside.

the van will have solar and am thinking of covering when not in use as plan to use weekends mainly I’ve had some power sockets fitted with a view to plug into EHU.

do I then buy a noco genius trickle charge plugged into main van battery as well to ensure longevity of batteries?

most probably connect noco to the fence with a small protective cover and have it set up,

picture is where van will stay and arrow is where I’ve had power sockets fitted to arrow EHU

cheers

DA7EDC13-E7BC-4BA2-8EE1-506AF02B86A3.jpeg

What type of DC-DC charger do you have, for charging the leisure battery from the alternator via the starter battery? With most if you just charge the starter battery it will also charge the leisure. Some will do it in reverse I think and you wouldn't need the NOCO. If you already have it though, then what you suggest is fine.

@joe_j_barnes

as @boxelder above whats the current setup?

do you have EHU installed in the van?

if so does it have a leisure battery charger?

what leisure battery have you got.?

do you have a dc-dc charger?

what's the solar and what's it connected to?

post some pics of everything so we can help.

some people with a dc-dc charger would have the NOCO connected to the starter battery when parked up . . . this would then charge the starter battery,

when the starter was charged enough the dc-dc should automatically start-up and start charging the leisure battery. (all without connecting the vans internal EHU point)

more info here:

C
harging:

SOLAR:

Not sure yet if honest until van comes back but it does have a DC to DC I know they install Victron Bluetooth

Hi all

What do you do over winter with your vans for top charging?

I have a winter cover in mine and it’s hooked up to EHU which I switch off and one week by week.

Should I continue snd is it good for both van and camper battery or should I buy a trickle charge directly to main van battery ?

Cheers

You asked a similar question earlier but didn’t answer the queries people raised so they could assist you
Threads merged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Nigel

I can’t see what measure battery I have under the drivers seat without complete removal of seat and don’t have the tools to do.

I have a mppt vicron charger with a sergeant stystem inside of the van with a 1000w inverter

Hi, what model is the Sargent? It will have a number on the front of the case and this will have inside the mains charger.
the Victron mppt you mention is the solar panel controller which I guess is connected to just the leisure battery and this, as you know will not work if you are putting a cover over the top.
So this is what I would suggest but others might have better and more sensible ideas.

you connect the vehicle to the mains by the hook up cable, turn on the Sargent unit (the red illuminated switch) this will charge and maintain the leisure battery.

assuming you have some 13amp sockets inside the camper you plug into one of them a Noco 5 amp charger and then plug this into one of the cigarette lighter sockets on the dash and set it to AGM, this will charge and maintain the vehicle battery.

This arrangement means everything is inside the camper safe and sound with the only electrical connection being the mains hook up which goes through the Sargent so everything is fused with trips etc.

you can, if you wish, then just leave it and all should be well or, if like me you worry, just turn them on for a full day once a week.

Thats what I do with mine and after 5 years the batteries are still fine.

Thanks Nigel

Noco 5amp would you have a link? Ones am seeing have clamps to connect to battery not through cigarette lighter?

And when you buy the cable below get one of these and stick it in the other cig lighter so you can see what the battery charge is

Reactions: CAB
Hi, someone has recommended a solar trickle charger to stop my battery going flat over the winter when parked up and covered. I was planning on just going and tuning the engine on for an hour or so each month which isn’t fun obvs. (It’s SORN so can’t give it a run around) and last year when I went to use it in march battery was dead

Are they worthwhile? For £30 or so I’d take a punt but advice would be welcome

Thanks

Over winter a little £30 panel just isn’t going to get enough daylight to work. I have a 100watt panel which is just about ok but your up to £100 plus.

Reactions: CAB
Over winter a little £30 panel just isn’t going to get enough daylight to work. I have a 100watt panel which is just about ok but your up to £100 plus.
Thanks! Not sure I’d want to spend that when I can either go and turn it over or just charge the battery at home if it’s dead

Hi, someone has recommended a solar trickle charger to stop my battery going flat over the winter when parked up and covered. I was planning on just going and tuning the engine on for an hour or so each month which isn’t fun obvs. (It’s SORN so can’t give it a run around) and last year when I went to use it in march battery was dead

Are they worthwhile? For £30 or so I’d take a punt but advice would be welcome

Thanks
I wouldn't regularly run the engine without running it up to temp and you won't achieve that without running the van out properly. (It will cause regen/dpf issues if you don't and in the long term glaze the bores, which will lead to compression issues.

You'd be better off with the solar charger, but don't expect much from it this time of year.

What is the £30 trickle charger you have found?

Do you have any access to power where the van is parked?

I wouldn't regularly run the engine without running it up to temp and you won't achieve that without running the van out properly. (It will cause regen/dpf issues if you don't and in the long term glaze the bores, which will lead to compression issues.

You'd be better off with the solar charger, but don't expect much from it this time of year.

What is the £30 trickle charger you have found?

Do you have any access to power where the van is parked?
I asked in ŠKODA when my car was being serviced (they to VW too) and he said can turn it over.

Only had a brief look on Amazon for Solar chargers to check costs, didn’t really research it was was only a few hours ago someone recommended using one (he’s a big car geek)

No electric where I park the van over winter

I don’t mind taking it out for a spin mid winter if that will be enough as it’ll ‘only’ be £20 to put it on the road for that month.

I asked in ŠKODA when my car was being serviced (they to VW too) and he said can turn it over.

Only had a brief look on Amazon for Solar chargers to check costs, didn’t really research it was was only a few hours ago someone recommended using one (he’s a big car geek)

No electric where I park the van over winter

I don’t mind taking it out for a spin mid winter if that will be enough as it’ll ‘only’ be £20 to put it on the road for that month.
Just hassle to take its coat off too! Plus the cost will eventually be more than a trickle charger

Back