Towbar Mounted Storage Box

EcosseExile

T6 Pro
Good morning,

Does anyone use a towbar mounted storage box with their van? I'm after one to keep wet/dirty camping gear in, to free up space when travelling.

Ideally it would drop down like a bike rack to allow opening of the tailgate.

Does such a thing exist or have I dreamt it

Good morning,

Does anyone use a towbar mounted storage box with their van? I'm after one to keep wet/dirty camping gear in, to free up space when travelling.

Ideally it would drop down like a bike rack to allow opening of the tailgate.

Does such a thing exist or have I dreamt it
Towbox.

Very expensive, but useful for us.

Drops down, but as we have barn doors I have no idea if the tailgate will open.

If you were closer I would offer to try it on your towball, in fact if you are ever passing Manchester then feel free to drop in and try it on.

DSC_5286.JPG

Edit: just seen it looks lopsided on that pic! But it was definitely straight :slow rofl:

Last edited:
My mini 'review':

Nice!

A much less aesthetically pleasing option is Bak-Rak. Rack only with tumble mount and a waterproof roof bag, or a large plastic box that Bak-Rak or other outlets sell. Roof bags not great for security but no less so than when mounted on the roof! Gives the option of converting to carry bikes if wanted. Watch out for permitted tow bar weight, the Bak-Rak G4 can likely take more than allowed by the tow bar/ vehicle, 120kg but don't forget to add the weight of the rack/box bags weigh less :) . Don't have photos, sorry, but check the website.

Thule and others also do basic racks, including tilting ones, to fit your own box/bag to.

Depending on the type of box the 'separates' systems may approach the cost of the Towbox. Not sure whether Towbox has the option of removing the box for versatility.

Towbox.

If you were closer I would offer to try it on your towball, in fact if you are ever passing Manchester then feel free to drop in and try it on.

View attachment 178780

Edit: just seen it looks lopsided on that pic! But it was definitely straight :slow rofl:
That's awesome. Thanks for the kind offer. That's exactly the type of thing I'm after. Don't mind spending the money, if it's good quality.

Reactions: CAB
I bought Thule bike rack to house the Thule bag been superb tilts to allow my tailgate to open

We’re family if four so bought Thule bags to fit inside so we all have own with limited space this thing makes such a difference and the bags help our organisation

D9BC986B-8A76-4F02-A441-9DBB23A3EBD0.jpeg

@joe_j_barnes Off topic and sorry to butt in on the original thread, but as per the photo above does the pop top cope with the roof box on when open, can you leave anything in it or do you have to remove everything when you want the pop top open?

Nice!

A much less aesthetically pleasing option is Bak-Rak. Rack only with tumble mount and a waterproof roof bag, or a large plastic box that Bak-Rak or other outlets sell. Roof bags not great for security but no less so than when mounted on the roof! Gives the option of converting to carry bikes if wanted. Watch out for permitted tow bar weight, the Bak-Rak G4 can likely take more than allowed by the tow bar/ vehicle, 120kg but don't forget to add the weight of the rack/box bags weigh less :) . Don't have photos, sorry, but check the website.

Thule and others also do basic racks, including tilting ones, to fit your own box/bag to.

Depending on the type of box the 'separates' systems may approach the cost of the Towbox. Not sure whether Towbox has the option of removing the box for versatility.
I have had a Bak-Rak before (though not on the van) and can confirm it does a good job. I was very pleased with it and used it for both bike carriage and camping stuff so it is quite versatile. I actually sold it to someone to use on their RV.

I have just come across this solution, it may be useful for someone here...

The carrier is only 1780mm long and 350mm wide due to its compact design with folded light carrier. Thus, access to the rear and loading of the vehicle is possible without acrobatic interludes.
When the carrier plate is pulled out, the support foot automatically moves down and absorbs the forces that are generated on the pull-out side. The advantage of this device is that the vehicle remains stable and does not tilt.

Video of it in use at the bottom of their page - Heckträgersystem

Rear Box.jpg

• Wow
I have just come across this solution, it may be useful for someone here...

The carrier is only 1780mm long and 350mm wide due to its compact design with folded light carrier. Thus, access to the rear and loading of the vehicle is possible without acrobatic interludes.
When the carrier plate is pulled out, the support foot automatically moves down and absorbs the forces that are generated on the pull-out side. The advantage of this device is that the vehicle remains stable and does not tilt.

Video of it in use at the bottom of their page - Heckträgersystem

View attachment 180248
I don't know if that is hideous, or genius, or both!!

I bought Thule bike rack to house the Thule bag been superb tilts to allow my tailgate to open

We’re family if four so bought Thule bags to fit inside so we all have own with limited space this thing makes such a difference and the bags help our organisation

View attachment 178979
Just wondering, is this the thule XT2 or XT3 bike rack? And I assume due to weight restrictions you can't use the cargo box and carry bikes on the rack above at the same time? Sorry for the questions! Just bought our van and weighing up different options

Towbox.

View attachment 178780

Hi mate. Does your barn doors open ok with this box on?

Hi mate. Does your barn doors open ok with this box on?
No.

Enough to reach in and get stuff, and I can fit the water carrier through, but can't use as an exit.

Can open them by maybe 30 degrees?

I have a Thule bike rack and Thule cargo box combination for sale on eBay at the moment and someone told me this works with a tailgate but I can’t see how. I fitted it this morning and it doesn’t look like there’s adjustment so the tilt is enough for the tailgate. Anyone know how/if this works?

EB10799A-E82C-4854-8032-95D30D3E14EE.jpeg

E95BB352-4C09-483A-85D7-A0782BD8A213.jpeg

B08136DC-C327-49D5-B27D-1A4665F64C92.jpeg

I have a Thule bike rack and Thule cargo box combination for sale on eBay at the moment and someone told me this works with a tailgate but I can’t see how. I fitted it this morning and it doesn’t look like there’s adjustment so the tilt is enough for the tailgate. Anyone know how/if this works?

View attachment 195555

View attachment 195556

View attachment 195557
Does this for barn doors? I could be interested In this for my Swiss trip

Back