Exterior Storage Weight Guidance Please!

Savannr

Hi all,

I have just recently purchased a 2018 T28 and looking at different external storage ideas.

I like the idea of being able to carry an external storage box but also bikes. So I am currently looking at the Thule velospace XT3 with the XT Backspace Cargo Box, a long with the VW Bike Rack. I have put a picture of a similar set up below.

All the weights are below:
XT3 (20.6kg) + XT Backspace Cargo Box (8.6kg) with a max load capacity of 60kg. VW Bike Rack (15kg) with a max load capacity of 60kg.

If I was to fit all the above it would be around 45kg plus 120kg load capacity = 165kg.

Just looking for guidance - what is the max I could load before I am at risk with the suspension? Is the above (165kg) too much on the rear? Thanks in advance.

146379-ebe40791d56655f8dca80ab706195fdf.jpg

All depends on what else you’re carrying in the van. Search the forum for “saggy back end”

All depends on what else you’re carrying in the van. Search the forum for “saggy back end”
Thanks, I'll take a look.

The inside would just consist of clothes, food and the bedding for the trip. My aim is to store things on the outside within capacity limits so we can make stops etc when travelling to our destination and have some access to the kitchen and cupboards.

I know the gross max capacity is 2800kg, was just wondering if the above would have a significant impact on the rear suspension.

Hi all,

I have just recently purchased a 2018 T28 and looking at different external storage ideas.

I like the idea of being able to carry an external storage box but also bikes. So I am currently looking at the Thule velospace XT3 with the XT Backspace Cargo Box, a long with the VW Bike Rack. I have put a picture of a similar set up below.

All the weights are below:
XT3 (20.6kg) + XT Backspace Cargo Box (8.6kg) with a max load capacity of 60kg. VW Bike Rack (15kg) with a max load capacity of 60kg.

If I was to fit all the above it would be around 45kg plus 120kg load capacity = 165kg.

Just looking for guidance - what is the max I could load before I am at risk with the suspension? Is the above (165kg) too much on the rear? Thanks in advance.

View attachment 195490
I carry a 230kg motorbike on the back of mine so I can’t see that 165kg will be an issue unless you have lots of weight inside. Mine is a T32 and has air suspension, so it auto levels when loaded.
DAFBC044-830E-43F1-ACA7-93285EB52F55.jpeg

I carry a 230kg motorbike on the back of mine so I can’t see that 165kg will be an issue unless you have lots of weight inside. Mine is a T32 and has air suspension, so it auto levels when loaded.
View attachment 195491
A T32 with air is a big jump from a standard t28. Putting so much weight so far behind the wheels has a big mechanical advantage. I suspect that the t28 will go light on the front end.

As said, it depends what else is in the van and how much load capacity you have before reaching max total weight and max for each axle. With no other load you would be fine as it is essentially no different to 2 people in the back, but you could quickly get to your max weights if it’s a camper conversion and you have kit and people etc.

I took mine to a weighbridge to see what’s its unladen weight and distribution is so I have a good idea how much I can carry and where. Next job is to take it back when I’m fully loaded to check it’s still in limits. Your handbook and the vehicle plate will tell you max all up weight and each axle capacity. Pic attached of my weights for info - T28, 150bhp manual, camper conversion, full fuel, full ad-blue, gas but no water, kit or people. I have about 500kg spare, all of which could effectively go on the rear axle.

11D7CAEB-B3BE-4005-B1FB-2EFEB84D6A8F.jpeg

There's not a chance that isn't over loading the rear axle with 230kg hanging that far out back

There's not a chance that isn't over loading the rear axle with 230kg hanging that far out back
I'd be interested to test the weight on a public weighbridge. My physics is rusty but 'force X weight'. 2m from the centre of the rear wheel would suggest the extra force on the axe could be twice the weight of the bike?

TÜV approved to carry 250kg. And I trust TÜV certification. I have to, because I can’t argue that it doesn’t look/feel wrong!
Have you read the TUV documents, with the calculations for the increased rear axle load? What figure did you work out for the 230kg bike on a T6?

Back