Towbar Mounted Storage Box

From what I've heard, the best rack for a tailgate is an Atera Strada DL (not the Evo). I've yet to use mine in anger but a trial fit shows my tailgate opening OK with the Strada DL. I suppose you could work out a way of adding storage to that rack instead?

(What I'm getting at is it's the rack that's the issue, I think there are only a couple of Thule options that work OK with the tailgate)

I have a Thule bike rack and Thule cargo box combination for sale on eBay at the moment and someone told me this works with a tailgate but I can’t see how. I fitted it this morning and it doesn’t look like there’s adjustment so the tilt is enough for the tailgate. Anyone know how/if this works?

View attachment 195555

View attachment 195556

View attachment 195557

@joe_j_barnes did you need to modify your bike rack at all to tilt with the tailgate? Is it a Thule 938? As you can see, mine just gets in the way of a T6 tailgate. I guess longer cables allowing more tilt would help, but it’s a faff for something already so expensive.

@joe_j_barnes did you need to modify your bike rack at all to tilt with the tailgate? Is it a Thule 938? As you can see, mine just gets in the way of a T6 tailgate. I guess longer cables allowing more tilt would help, but it’s a faff for something already so expensive.
Hi mate sorry for such late response, the rack has two points of cones ruin for the wire thread to allow tilt I just moved it to the furthest one which allows the bag to tilt and tailgate to open best but if kit I’ve bought to be honest.

Hi mate sorry for such late response, the rack has two points of cones ruin for the wire thread to allow tilt I just moved it to the furthest one which allows the bag to tilt and tailgate to open best but if kit I’ve bought to be honest.
Nice! If you have the opportunity, would you mind posting some close up pictures of the wire points? Mine only seems to have one fixing point. Thanks!

IMG_3492.jpeg We use an Altera Strada and the tailgate opens. I’m now look for a secure box that tilts the same. Does the TowBox V3 do this?

Reactions: CAB
View attachment 198520 We use an Altera Strada and the tailgate opens. I’m now look for a secure box that tilts the same. Does the TowBox V3 do this?
It does. But not quite enough I think?

I found this pic on the Cali forum, and this thread said the door wouldn't open:

Towbox T6 tailgate.jpg

Back