Top Gear mag - running a T6

former member

Account closed
T6 Pro
Just noticed TG mag is running a Gen 6 T6 Caravelle as a long termer.
204PS high spec - first impressions are pretty good.
I'm a long term subscriber. And I have a new wireless HP laser printer/scanner/copier to try out!

Small article this month almost all about higher than expected AdBlue consumption.
Anyone else using more than expected? We've just clicked 3000 miles and I did a top up at just about halfway (at 2500ish miles) but happy with that.

Ok a remap fair enough, but the rest? Have you read the news today about emission related illness'?

It doesn't bother me If that's what mainstream media tells me.
If VW offered petrol I wouldnt be doing this.

All dpf do is delay the release of particles and then chuck em out during a Regen elsewhere. I think adblue does more harm. Ammonia can be just as dangerous.

In my opinion companies should stop with diesels and concentrate on hybrid electric with high pressure injection petrol.

Yep, diesels are pretty flawed but it's all we've got for now. That's why I've stuck a five year warranty on it, am treating it as well as possible and have my fingers firmly crossed. We have seen how awful diesel can be on our 180 Cali and our 110 Defender (the Astra CDTi 150 also ate it's swirl flaps).
I DON'T like the fuss our 204 makes after short journeys but hopefully this it's just belt and braces stuff to try and avoid DPF/EGR issues.
The diesel engine in my 335d showed what they can do if made properly; that thing even sounded good.
But I still prefer the petrol unit in my M135i. The 35d engine fitted into our VWs would be awesome (or even the VAG 3.0TDI unit).

Four cylinder diesels are inherently pretty hateful.

The manufacturers have a massive flaw to answer in all of this.
Audi do not import an A6 into the UK that has the option of a petrol engine, only the S6 or RS6, its exactly the same with the A7, and A8. VW are the same with the Passat, and the T6, to name but a few. I'd happily drive a petrol if one were available in the vehicle that I chose to drive. Haven't had a petrol car for years (an S3 was the last one, and that was lush). Big solid German "large family" cars just don't give you the option.

The manufacturers have a massive flaw to answer in all of this.
Audi do not import an A6 into the UK that has the option of a petrol engine, only the S6 or RS6, its exactly the same with the A7, and A8. VW are the same with the Passat, and the T6, to name but a few. I'd happily drive a petrol if one were available in the vehicle that I chose to drive. Haven't had a petrol car for years (an S3 was the last one, and that was lush). Big solid German "large family" cars just don't give you the option.

Pretty sure you can get a 240PS Passat but I can't remember if it's diesel or not.
You certainly can't get a petrol Alltrak which is a real shame.
I have think the VAG group over-committed on diesel.

Not wanting to look a tit before posting that, I looked at the configurators to double check what I thought. Granted I only looked at Passat estate, but the config did not give a petrol option.

Back