Revo Review in more detail.

My only hesitation if the potential effect on longevity of the vehicle, I presume there is some element of increased wear from the increased torque and power?

There is a potentiometer that you operate with your right foot that controls the amount of torque and power. Just because it can make more power doesn't mean it has to all of the time.

Potentially a silly question coming up..

I have 150 2017 Kombi 6 speed manual and looking into a Revo Stage 1. Mainly to aid in overtaking and general drivability. I never really 'rag it' unless overtaking but occasionally the extra performance would be nice!

My only hesitation if the potential effect on longevity of the vehicle, I presume there is some element of increased wear from the increased torque and power?

If the map is so good why does it not come out the factory from VW that way?

Might be worth a call to REVO but asking the sales team why I should buy it will only result in one answer haha! would appreciate your opinions!

Thanks
VW have to sell it to a price with emissions in the right ball park so they make a 150ps. I’ve got the 150ps 6 speed manual and had the Revo Stage 1 done a year ago. The van is certainly a lot quicker but I didn’t get it for that reason. The Revo map has made the power deliver across a broader Rev range and removed some of the dead spots that were there with the factory map. It is a much nicer van to drive after the remap. To my mind the way the engine runs after the Revo map is probably how the engine designers wanted it to be but there are other things controlling how they have to roll out of the factory.

I had a remap on my last (non VW) car and ran that one to 130k miles without any issue. There is designed in headroom on these engines which you are admittedly eating in to with a remap but there are a lot of them about and very few issues, so I went for it and have no regrets.

VW have to sell it to a price with emissions in the right ball park so they make a 150ps. I’ve got the 150ps 6 speed manual and had the Revo Stage 1 done a year ago. The van is certainly a lot quicker but I didn’t get it for that reason. The Revo map has made the power deliver across a broader Rev range and removed some of the dead spots that were there with the factory map. It is a much nicer van to drive after the remap. To my mind the way the engine runs after the Revo map is probably how the engine designers wanted it to be but there are other things controlling how they have to roll out of the factory.

I had a remap on my last (non VW) car and ran that one to 130k miles without any issue. There is designed in headroom on these engines which you are admittedly eating in to with a remap but there are a lot of them about and very few issues, so I went for it and have no regrets.
Thanks thats some useful info in there.i supose left to engineers alone it would be a different animal until marketing and the regulations come in! Im looking for similar reasons more increased drivability rather than speed. Drawn to REVO for thier extensive R and D.
Have you noticed any differenced with regens after the map, i was wondering if it might regen more?

100% agree!

If I had to start again with another 150 it's the first thing I'd do, transforms the van, much smoother, more torque, if you rev it a bit it seriously goes for a van.

Randomly, dont quote me on this but I think the regens are less now...

MPG - thought some people might be interested about the real life MPG on a REVO tuned 150 Caravelle DSG.

Today I went from the south coast up to west London near Wandsworth, driving A roads, B rods, motorways, stuck in traffic, though several roadworks etc etc. So a good mix of conditions.

I covered over 150 miles and tank fill to tank fill it worked out at 41.2 mpg.
What was it before? That seems amazing!

I found this thread really useful when deciding to get Revo Stage 1 on my 150ps SWB Kombi 6sp manual so thank you for all who contributed.

After the advice on here and discussions with Revo technical on the phone I bit the bullet and had the stage 1 installed. I've had it on the van for 4 months and have waited to give it a good time testing it out in various road types and journeys before writing my 2p on the review.

Short Story:
Everything said on here is true, don't think about it just get it installed now you wont regret it.

Long Story:
If your expecting the brick shape van to turn into a Supercar then forget it. The differences are subtle under normally driving conditions, but definitely a massive improvement over stock, and yes, if you give it some beans it really shifts. The most notable difference, as most have said already is the torque increase. The whole van feels smoother and like it is not working as hard or that its been on a diet. You need to change gear less and the power delivery is more constant through the rev range. I was fairly pleased with the van before, hence some hesitancy to have the map, but I'm so glad I went for it, all round its just much nicer to drive.
Regarding MPG, the difference is nominal however I would generally agree with the quoted 2-3 mpg increase for the same driving style. Its not going to pay for itself but that wasn't the reason I bought it.
I regularly drive the A470 in wales north to south which has all driving conditions, steep hills dual carriageway etc on roads like this the map makes the most difference. Much better for overtaking (stating the obvious). When driving fully loaded the hills are less of a struggle and everything is much more relaxed (trying to resist saying smoother again, but it is :think smile bounce: ).
Regarding wear and tear (which was my biggest concern) then yes if you use all the power more often then obviously everything will wear slightly quicker. In my mind the counter argument is less gear changes = less wear and tear but who knows. I was satisfied that hopefully I haven't caused any detriment to the longevity of my van and the primary reason I went with Revo was for the extensive R&D they do on the impact on all components.

Hopefully my rambling is of some help to those toying with the idea of getting their van do, just do it! you will always wonder what if...

The only negative is that it should have come out the factory that way!!!

Back