Tinted driver/passenger windows

dubdub

T6 Pro
Hi all,

Is it possible (or legal) to have the drivers and front passengers side windows tinted now a days? I dont want to go too dark but something close the the shade of the kombi windows behind me, also on the tailgate glass too.

I have had on mine (and the last 2 cars, 15 years) a 50% tint on the front and 99% on the rears. Never had any issues with either seeing or the law.

I think the legal limit is no more than 30% tint on the front side windows but the rears can be blacked if you want. As above i no a couple with 50% fronts

30% for the front. The law may ignore you but it's your responsibility > Ignorance is not bliss. Your insurance won't ignore it when it comes to an incident the tint was a potential contributing factor.
Try calling your insurance and advising them you've mod'd your vehicle adding 50% tint to the front :)

I only want to take off the clear look so a 30% is fine but i'll go darker on the tailgate :thumbsup:

One thing many people don't realise is that standard tinted windows in cars and vans are often already close to 30%, so if you then buy 30% film and stick it on top you're well over 50% and driving illegally. It's one of the things loss adjusters check after an accident, takes 5 secs with a little portable meter (we use them at work), I think some police officers have them as well. As mentioned, this only applies to the front side windows and windscreen, the others can be as dark as you like, you can even paint over them if that's your bag.

Edit: Actually I'll bring one home next week and check my standard front windows and post it so we have a T6 baseline

One thing many people don't realise is that standard tinted windows in cars and vans are often already close to 30%, so if you then buy 30% film and stick it on top you're well over 50% and driving illegally. It's one of the things loss adjusters check after an accident, takes 5 secs with a little portable meter (we use them at work), I think some police officers have them as well. As mentioned, this only applies to the front side windows and windscreen, the others can be as dark as you like, you can even paint over them if that's your bag.

Edit: Actually I'll bring one home next week and check my standard front windows and post it so we have a T6 baseline
Great idea, do the slider and back as well would be good to see how they compare :thumbsup:

I want to do the same as tye OP on my kombi.
Is it the general consensus that a 30% tint on the front glass will be close to the factory tinted rears ?. ( with the benefit of also being legal ).
Cheers.

If memory serves me correct, the front windscreen must allow 75% of the light through. The side windows forward of the B pillars must allow 70% through. Windows to the rear of the B pillar are not light level restricted so you can apply dark tints on these. In my experience, the standard factory fit windows are close to the above specification, so the addition of any tint forward of the B pillar renders the vehicle illegal for use on public roads. Some Police forces do equip their traffic cops with light meters to check window tints. If your involved in a collision and your window tints are out of spec you could be subject to criminal proceedings as well as problems with insurance liability.

Back