@Thoggs lining as it happens

excellent info thanks @Thogg

Great work @slidepods Good to here about company that enjoy and have a passion for their work, which always ends up with the right results :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we going to see the finished article or are pics posted elsewhere?

Pricing seems v-reasonable for work that has been done so far. Some conversion companies charge silly money for work imo.

Are we going to see the finished article or are pics posted elsewhere?

Pricing seems v-reasonable for work that has been done so far. Some conversion companies charge silly money for work imo.
When it's warmer and the light is better I'll post some pics.. I'm very happy with the work they've done for the cost...

That's a really fair price and looks to have been done with care and consideration.
I don't want to think what I've spent on mine but it's probably a fair bit more than that for a similar job.

any chance of some pics @mhill ?

I'll see what I can colate, I did the insulation my self and as @Pauly said probably put around 3 large packs of silver coat. This covered every bit of bare metal that I could fined with a tap test to take out the resonance. I then covered in a foam foil backed insulation that I brought from the same people as the silent coat and filled any large voids with B&Q plastic bottle recyclings.

Ply line and carpet was done by a local firm but complicated by the rear heating & cooling system.

Then a couple of weeks ago I've had loads of lights added to the interior, so it's a tad bright in there now!

I'll pull a load of photos off later and add them to this thread tonight.

Forgive the quality of the pictures they are not exactly pro quality but here are a few :thumbsup:. Tweeters in the one piece headlining along with our signature led courtesy lights (think we are still the only company doing these, certainly the first). All the LED lights are from Frilight and as such are designed for automotive use and individually voltage regulated. We buy our carpet direct from the manufacturer and it is (to the best of my knowledge) the only hi-flex lining carpet available in the U.K to have passed the EC118 tests for fire resistance. We make sure to run all our electrical cables in a single length and use the appropriate size cable and fuses for the circuit.

It's great that you are happy with the job we have delivered @Thogg.

I am glad you were comfortable to post what you paid, As a business we try to be totally transparent regarding what our packages and products cost so all our customers can expect to pay the same as each other. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

IMG_0204_zpsv9jgrwmi.jpg IMG_0215_zpsvfysllsn.jpg IMG_0210_zpskk5nl5hm.jpg IMG_0216_zpsjhonifuk.jpg IMG_0214_zpsqdcgk987.jpg IMG_0191_zpsojyrmaa3.jpg

Forgive the quality of the pictures they are not exactly pro quality but here are a few :thumbsup:. Tweeters in the one piece headlining along with our signature led courtesy lights (think we are still the only company doing these, certainly the first). All the LED lights are from Frilight and as such are designed for automotive use and individually voltage regulated. We buy our carpet direct from the manufacturer and it is (to the best of my knowledge) the only hi-flex lining carpet available in the U.K to have passed the EC118 tests for fire resistance. We make sure to run all our electrical cables in a single length and use the appropriate size cable and fuses for the circuit.

It's great that you are happy with the job we have delivered @Thogg.

I am glad you were comfortable to post what you paid, As a business we try to be totally transparent regarding what our packages and products cost so all our customers can expect to pay the same as each other. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

IMG_0204_zpsv9jgrwmi.jpg IMG_0215_zpsvfysllsn.jpg IMG_0210_zpskk5nl5hm.jpg IMG_0216_zpsjhonifuk.jpg IMG_0214_zpsqdcgk987.jpg IMG_0191_zpsojyrmaa3.jpg
Where have you hidden the jack.

Where have you hidden the jack.
I had taken it off and it lives in my vanorak at the moment. Jonny was waiting for some new rivets so I can reattach it to the original mounting

I had taken it off and it lives in my vanorak at the moment. Jonny was waiting for some new rivets so I can reattach it to the original mounting

Don't bother, it's utter pants and touching on dangerous. I'd get a decent 4ton bottle jack and keep that in your rear vanorak box.

Just want to add I caught up with @Thogg after he picked the van up and had a quick look, got to say I was really impressed with the work, the contours of the lining, shaping and edging looked really good and the led logo lights are a nice touch
I hadn't forgetten you @Pauly I wasn't sure of the right place to say this... but since this thread has some traction... absolute bloody legend. VCDS guru extraordinare! Fade activated. Teardrop wipe activated. MPH digital display activated. Faults all cleared down. All in 30 mins on way back from slidepods and having made special effort to get hold of your laptop. Next time you're in Newquay your beer is on me.

Last edited by a moderator:
<iframe src="Facebook" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

No we didn't. I don't push products or services that I don't feel are worth it no matter how much extra profit we could make from them. For example we never suggest to customers that they have a 12v>240v inverter incorporated into their leisure electrics system unless they ask for one (normally I will try to dissuade them even at this point). We have installed them on a few occasions e.g a friend of mine is a photographer and uses his van as a mobile office as well as a camper so we installed x2 110AH AGM batteries and a victron pure sinewave inverter to allow him to power his laptop and cannon fast chargers off grid. When it comes to the floor I look at each individual case on merit.....
@Thogg like many of our customers has a genuine Kombi mat these are very good dampers indeed! So I wouldn't suggest over-speccing the sound proofing plus it would be extremely easy to revisit the job at a later date if necessary at no more cost than if we did it at the same time as lining the van (no one has ever requested we do this so I will continue not to offer it until the scales tip the other way :thumbsup: )
When we install a fixed ply floor we do it by bonding 9mm Chinese ply in-between the floor ribs (We use Chinese hardwood ply here due to its water resistance compared with birch/ilomba/poplar and cost). We then screw the ply floor to the ply blocks we have bonded in (no slapping it down with self tapping drywall screws for us) thus not piercing the floor of your van even once! This process has already bonded LOTS of extra mass to the floor in the back but in most cases we will be bolting an 80kg Rib bed to these floors and a 40/50kg Slidepod - plenty of mass there. If for any reason we were not putting anything in the back I may suggest some soundproofing but would let the customer do their homework and make their own decision.
When we do a Caravelle floor.... No soundproofing! the floor thickness is critical to less than 1mm and with the extra thickness of floor and the rails all bolted in its totally in necessary as I'm sure @Commando83 will testify.
Lastly if we are lining your van and installing leisure electrics in combination we do add a bit of silent coat in the cab area under the cab matt for free as its no bother when the matt is out.

Next Sca roof we do (this coming week) I intend to trial putting some 4mm patches of silent coat inside the front roof spoiler to see if it makes any difference?? if it does this will become standard practice in all our roof fits from then on :thumbsup:

I think that about covers soundproofing for us, If you had specific requirements that you absolutely want us to carry out we would always do it for you (unless we were 100% sure it was to the detriment of your conversion) as this enables us to test new methods and products. Currently we are totally happy with what we offer regarding soundproofing but we are always keen to learn, improve and innovate whenever possible :thumbsup::thumbsup:.

Back