@Thoggs lining as it happens

Cheers @Roadrunner we are really happy with what we are currently offering. obviously we can offer upgrades like genuine Alcantara headlinings. Unless a customer specifically asks for coloured LED's we try to steer clear of them as we prefer to go for a simple high quality look. I am dying to line a van with the HPL panels. So much so that whoever wants to be the guneapig can have that upgrade for free and I envisage it will probably add around £200 to the price of a lining job from us :thumbsup:. The next challenge for us is textured 1 piece CNC cut birch ply roof with our courtesy lights trimmed in genuine Alcantara with the cab headlining trimmes in Alcantara to match :D:D

I'm in the process of stripping out the old hardboard lining, do you have to fully remove the grey plastic clips to replace with the hidden panel clips (in due time). They're a bugger to get out, need to go round them all with pliers.
Try using a Torx bit rather than an Allen bit. The Torx bit is slightly oversize to the hex of the fixing causing it to grip allowing you to apply slight pull which makes the fixing come out a lot easier. Does not damage the fixing either allowing it to be re-used if required.

I may be interested, been thinking about an alternative to carpet as put bikes in the back so need something wipeable, not sure about the non panel parts though, what do you think ?

I may be interested, been thinking about an alternative to carpet as put bikes in the back so need something wipeable, not sure about the non panel parts though, what do you think ?
Carpet for the non panel parts

We are back on it today x3 of us so should be finished today with any luck.

We still cut the headlinings the traditional way as the CNC cant take a 10x5 sheet of birch.

Hopefully we will have brand new one in the new workshop by the end of summer

Mostly silent coat and a bit of the MVM sound proof roll. It's very similar to the silent coat.

Both the silent coat and MVM stuff are 2mm. I will have enough to do the floor so yes. I got a bulk pack of silent coat and 10m roll of the other stuff which is 0.5m wide

Both the silent coat and MVM stuff are 2mm. I will have enough to do the floor so yes. I got a bulk pack of silent coat and 10m roll of the other stuff which is 0.5m wide
Cheers pal. You've got a lot more material covering your panels than I have and I had it done by a professional company which has got me looking into this sound proofing a lot.
I've read that you haven't got to cover every single inch and anything over 40% coverage is a wast of materials and money for no or minimal increase in sound dampening. What's people's thoughts on this?

@Twoguns All I can say is that @warren has done what many non-professionals do which is he has saved on labour, invested in extra materials and knows exactly how the job has been done. He has also acquired additional skills and knows the job has not been spoilt by skimping. So well done, nice job so far @warren. :thumbsup::thumbsup::)

Last edited:
Yes I've gone 'overboard' a bit, but as I was putting the silent coat on I could tell it was going to have a brilliant sound deadening effect. When you tap the panels you can hear the difference. Inside the voids is completely covered from edge to edge up and down. There is also more wheel arch to cover which I did also. Tomorrow will be dodo going on, I'll keep you all posted.

20170208_124628.jpg

Just a couple of shots from today.....

Brett working hard running all the electrics in, He always wires vans with a view to adding extra circuits at a later date without dropping the rear roof liner.

"what a clever chap he is!" (costs me a bloody fortune in cable :mad:)

End of the day. Just managed to lift the one piece headliner in and prop it ready to fix it up tomorrow.

Front doors are now thoroughly soundproofed and the new blame components installed, Tweeters are all installed in the A pillars, passenger swivel is in so tomorrow its just re attach the Jack bracket, fix

@Twoguns All I can say is that @warren has done what many non-professionals do which is to saved on labour, invested in extra materials and knows exactly how the job has been done. He has also acquired additional skills and knows the job has not been spoilt by skimping. So we'll done, nice job so far @warren. :thumbsup::thumbsup::)
@T6 Dave's Dad It was not a dig at him or criticising his work as I've already said he has done a good job. It was a question in to the effectiveness of sound proofing and the differences between how it's done.

when we were looking at where the soundproofing should go in our installs we took the tapping the panel approach, As time went on we had the luxury of experimenting and test drives on many many vehicles along with swapping tips and techniques with our friends in the industry like the boys at UBER and CELTIC which has led us to the exact amount we put in every time. This is obviously not something the DIYer can do so I definitely recommend the overkill approach there, It works and gives you a warm sense of achievement when you stand back and look at your work! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

when we were looking at where the soundproofing should go in our installs we took the tapping the panel approach, As time went on we had the luxury of experimenting and test drives on many many vehicles along with swapping tips and techniques with our friends in the industry like the boys at UBER and CELTIC which has led us to the exact amount we put in every time. This is obviously not something the DIYer can do so I definitely recommend the overkill approach there, It works and gives you a warm sense of achievement when you stand back and look at your work! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Cheers @slidepods thats the type of response I was looking for. I've taken the panels off inside and although it's certainly not over kill I'd say around 80% has been covered with Skinz and the tapping panel test does give a nice solid thudding noise from the outside. My main concern with my lining package is the amount of road noise I still have and think it's due to the wheel arches were not lined with anything other than the carpet so think the noise is still coming through there.
So my plan is to line the outside of the arches under the plastic wheel trim with a layer of Dynamte extreme then a layer of 6mm close cell on top of that and hope that reduces the road noise.

Back