The VW Wave

I thought everyone in France was a right miserable bunch, not one wave in France, Switzerland or Germany. As soon as I got off the boat back in Blighty... wave city!

T5.1er's are the worst, getting plenty of waves back from
Hello everyone,

I've been reading the forum for months now but after collecting my new Kombi on the 3rd felt it was about time I signed up properly.

So it's a 17 plate T32 Kombi Highline SWB 150ps manual in Deep Black Pearl, it's my first van and it's the first brand new car I've ever owned.

Absolutely loving it! Side bars went straight on after getting home from the dealer. Plan on insulating and carpeting it, will be my daily driver and used for weekends away with mountain and motor bikes.

I work in Preston but the better half and my family live in Swansea, so do a decent mileage. My first question to you guys is; do T6 owners wave at each other? Friend owns a T4 and a lot of them seem to.

Thanks very much.
It's about time the T6'ers fully adopted the T4 friendly comradeship wave attitude

@t6blo whats wrong with tradesmen???

Nothing - but in my experience waving at some bloke or woman in a bog standard transporter gets you either nothing, a blank look or a look of confusion.

A tradesperson in a modified transporter would get waved at.

I have corrected my post above ;)

How long have you got? :p
  • Not showing up when promised (or ever)
  • Failing to provide quotations when promised (or ever)
  • Disappearing in middle of a job for a few days/weeks (or forever)
  • Changing the spec of the job (downwards)
  • Changing the price for the job (upwards)
  • etc.
I jest, of course, but when you find a reliable tradesman, you really do need to cling on to them dear life!

We had a full coach built motorhome enthusiastically wave at us on the way home last weekend. First thought was whats falling off my van! Never come across that before.
Perhaps they'd recently "upgraded" to a motorhome and were waving out of habit or, if they looked longingly and tearfully, they were waving out of remorse! :devil:

Perhaps they'd recently "upgraded" to a motorhome and were waving out of habit or, if they looked longingly and tearfully, they were waving out of remorse! :devil:
My van is kept in storage, once I drop it off and are heading home in my car I do often go to wave at passing transporters. Not actually done it yet but been very close. God knows what they'd think with some nutter in an EV waving at them

Last edited:
Reactions: Bav
Last Saturday I got a "VW Wave" from a biker as I pulled towards the nearside to let him pass.......friendly folk in the Yorkshire Dales.
Even hairy-arsed bikers, eh? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: JOG
I pass the the same van at least three/four times a week in the village where I live. The waves started off very strong but are becoming increasingly awkward like we both want to wave but feel it’s a bit much this many times a week!

Funnily enough @t6blo I had a wave earlier from a van driver.
We had a full coach built motorhome enthusiastically wave at us on the way home last weekend. First thought was whats falling off my van! Never come across that before.
I’ve found they are the best for waves - 100% hit rate

I wave at every Transporter that looks like it is modified - hit rate is about 60/40 of waves back. I make a point of including T4s, T25s and the splits and bays too.

No point waving at the Amazon driver, builder or other tradesman in their bog standard one.

Getting a wave back makes you feel good and brightens up the day :thumbsup:

Back