The VW Wave

Some people are a bit shy, I’ve exchanged a knowing look in a traffic jam on the a38 with a couple who had a lovely van and the other day someone raised a finger off their wheel as he passed and I was delighted. You can’t control other people, only yourself and you may just have made somebodies day! Don’t stop
Cheers
Toby

Acknowledging other Transporter enthusiasts is a nice part of T6 ownership and on any journey with the family we wave at everyone and play "sweet or Sour" which is a laugh! This is good for the kids minds in a world where youngsters are increasingly self conscious and shy!

When alone, I tend to only wave at vans that are obviously modified! (Otherwise I simply wave back if required!)

Life is short, and a tiny bit of friendliness helps to make us feel a bit better in a world where so many self obsessed people are really very "sour"!

Last edited:
I've kind of given up. Our vans are just too new and are driven mostly by non enthusiasts. Was much more common when I had a T4.

• Sad
Reactions: Bav
I tend to acknowledge other VW campervans (of any era) if I spot them as such but really can't be bothered with all the other VW vans on the road. I also respond to waves but more often than not, they're in the rearview by the time I do.

In my experience getting a wave back is rare. The only exception I’ve found is North Wales, that was the land of VW waving last time we were there.

@t0mb0. As I said above, I suspect that's because a lot of them are already gone by the time they realise you've waved.

Collected the boys from school this afternoon And had 3 out of 5 waves returned!

The real surprise was the fourth wave: initiated by a lady driving a Cali. (Is it just me that’s wary of appearing dodgy when waving at female drivers? Must be my guilty conscious, eh?!!!)

Transporters were like dog shit around Shrewsbury this afternoon. Loads of waves received, none given cos I didn't know who any of them were.

Get yourself a toddler! - when our lad is in his baby seat the front middle seat and I wave, he copies me and waves too! It forces the grumpiest of people to wave back!

After the 1st 12 months of waving to every Transporter I now reserve the wave for transporters with a roll out awning on the rail and get a 75% wave back, had a few confused plumbers though.

After the 1st 12 months of waving to every Transporter I now reserve the wave for transporters with a roll out awning on the rail and get a 75% wave back, had a few confused plumbers though.
We wave if we spot a pop top, wind out awning or lei!

Made the mistake of waving at a van out on a bank holiday with metallic purple alloys - turned out to just be a work van

Back