New here few questions!

markyiparker

Hi all,

I have just bought a 2017 Caravelle 7 seater.

I am new to modern VW's having owned a 1976 Bay Window, a 1964 Splitscreen (still have that its in restoration) a 1968 Beetle (have that still, its in bits) and a 1971 Karman Ghia (still have that too and that's on the road) I regularly attend shows and am a member of the Splitscreen Van Club and the Karman Ghia Owners Club.

I also owned a T4 for around 6 months and just didn't get on with it.

Firstly my Caravelle has no cup holders in the front (first world problems I know) and I find it extremely annoying. I have one of those tables with pop out cup holders but they don't reach the front cab very well plus they rarely pop out (if at all) so what's the best ones to hang off the vents?

Secondly finding rubber mats for a 7 seater seems to be extremely difficult! I have lots of children, live in the countryside and the kids have horses so want to keep the mud out as much as possible. Mat makers seem to have difficulties identifying my van from the registration plate. Any one know of any good rubber mats?

many thanks in advance and I am sure I may have more questions in the future.

The cup holders are in the pull out draw under the gearstick

Hi all,

I have just bought a 2017 Caravelle 7 seater.

I am new to modern VW's having owned a 1976 Bay Window, a 1964 Splitscreen (still have that its in restoration) a 1968 Beetle (have that still, its in bits) and a 1971 Karman Ghia (still have that too and that's on the road) I regularly attend shows and am a member of the Splitscreen Van Club and the Karman Ghia Owners Club.

I also owned a T4 for around 6 months and just didn't get on with it.

Firstly my Caravelle has no cup holders in the front (first world problems I know) and I find it extremely annoying. I have one of those tables with pop out cup holders but they don't reach the front cab very well plus they rarely pop out (if at all) so what's the best ones to hang off the vents?

Secondly finding rubber mats for a 7 seater seems to be extremely difficult! I have lots of children, live in the countryside and the kids have horses so want to keep the mud out as much as possible. Mat makers seem to have difficulties identifying my van from the registration plate. Any one know of any good rubber mats?

many thanks in advance and I am sure I may have more questions in the future.
Well, that's embarrassing !!! There they are!!!!! I have even been speaking with the dealership about the poor ones on the table and they never mentioned them under the gearstick!

Well, that's embarrassing !!! There they are!!!!! I have even been speaking with the dealership about the poor ones on the table and they never mentioned them under the gearstick!
First rule of owning a modern VW, don't expect the dealers staff to know anything about it!
I took delivery of a new T5 some years ago and the salesman said 'I'm supposed to do a detailed hand over to you but I know you know more about it than me'.

PS my avatar is a '46 Beetle photographed at Stanford Hall which I own.

First rule of owning a modern VW, don't expect the dealers staff to know anything about it!
I took delivery of a new T5 some years ago and the salesman said 'I'm supposed to do a detailed hand over to you but I know you know more about it than me'.

So I am finding this out!!

Thats a beautiful Beetle!

You own Stanford Hall! Wow! Better than a pond with Kingfishers for sure!

The challenge with the Caravelle rail system is that there is not much clearance between the OE carpet and the seats for aftermarket mats, especially challenging is the thin strip between the step trim and first rail and keeping that in place.

I've seen some folks take the flooring out and replace the carpet with robust vinyl flooring like a camper to solve that issue.

I've used Rugs For Bugs for some mats but decided against doing the rear (not because of anything wrong with the product) and currently we use the OEM mats and tunnel cover set in the front.

In the rear we use a series of the rubber back fabric front dirt trap type door mats. They can be arranged flexibly if we move seats and table around and if very muddy can be flipped over so you rather have the "nice" fabric side up or the rubber - handy when nappy changing...

The challenge with the Caravelle rail system is that there is not much clearance between the OE carpet and the seats for aftermarket mats, especially challenging is the thin strip between the step trim and first rail and keeping that in place.

I've seen some folks take the flooring out and replace the carpet with robust vinyl flooring like a camper to solve that issue.

I've used Rugs For Bugs for some mats but decided against doing the rear (not because of anything wrong with the product) and currently we use the OEM mats and tunnel cover set in the front.

In the rear we use a series of the rubber back fabric front dirt trap type door mats. They can be arranged flexibly if we move seats and table around and if very muddy can be flipped over so you rather have the "nice" fabric side up or the rubber - handy when nappy changing...
Hi Roadtripper,

Thats great thank you. May have to have to look at something like that myself. Mud, children and nappies is exactly what I am dealing with.

Hi Roadtripper,

Thats great thank you. May have to have to look at something like that myself. Mud, children and nappies is exactly what I am dealing with.
If you find something like a Robert Dyas / Home Bargains / Local bit of everything store you can often pick up the mats quite cheap - it's worth getting a few to see if it works for you before investing as they're always handy as extra mats later. If needed I may even use them as traction mats in an emergency.

Also we find it easier to have the mid seats swung around to make the cabin more "train table" style seating rather than "airplane" style - this means the muddy boots are all in the middle rather than trying to squeeze past seats and than have feet up the back off all the seats.

With the kids we have a rule of "no boots in the van" - right now they are small enough we use one of the mid seat draws to hold boots, there are a few heavy duty bags in there too so if boots are very muddy you can sit on the side step and put boots in the bag and tuck that between the front and mid seats (nice cubby hole the way we have them - just watch scratching the seat backs with sharp things like zips and buckles) - also the step itself makes a good place to store boots in bags if you are careful opening and closing.

We have a kitchen pod in the back but you can probably find a generic boot protector to have a more rubber matt there to store muddy kit - maybe with a few of the big blue Ikea bags on standby?

If you find something like a Robert Dyas / Home Bargains / Local bit of everything store you can often pick up the mats quite cheap - it's worth getting a few to see if it works for you before investing as they're always handy as extra mats later. If needed I may even use them as traction mats in an emergency.

Also we find it easier to have the mid seats swung around to make the cabin more "train table" style seating rather than "airplane" style - this means the muddy boots are all in the middle rather than trying to squeeze past seats and than have feet up the back off all the seats.

With the kids we have a rule of "no boots in the van" - right now they are small enough we use one of the mid seat draws to hold boots, there are a few heavy duty bags in there too so if boots are very muddy you can sit on the side step and put boots in the bag and tuck that between the front and mid seats (nice cubby hole the way we have them - just watch scratching the seat backs with sharp things like zips and buckles) - also the step itself makes a good place to store boots in bags if you are careful opening and closing.

We have a kitchen pod in the back but you can probably find a generic boot protector to have a more rubber matt there to store muddy kit - maybe with a few of the big blue Ikea bags on standby?
Yeah we have two of the seats facing backwards and find this a little easier. You're right about the storage behind them!

I will have a look around Home Bargains etc and see what works. My children are a little older some teenagers and a 12 month old. It makes for an interesting life!

I am trying to make it "a no muddy boot" van with some luck but no always.

Thanks for the tips!!

Do you have a link to the kind of thing you’re talking about? I can’t seem to find the right kind of thing and my kids are already wrecking the carpet!

That's the sort of thing, I use smaller ones for flexibility.

I've had them for as low as £2.50 from local all in one hardware shops, a bit more from places like Home Bargains or Robert Days.

20230818_165144.JPG

I really recommend the "no boots in the back" rule too!

Back