Team Banded Brothers.

Those tyres look mean!

It's weird, they are the same Goodyear Vector 4's as my 18s, but the tread pattern is more aggressive, but I cannot understand why, unless they change the pattern between sizes, which would be strange.

Reactions: DWS
So I have now joined the banded brothers, sort of

18” Amarok steels banded by duchy in bronze 9j front and 9.5j rears (thanks Peatey). Fitted with 235/50 front and 245/50 rears for equal stretch. currently waiting for coilovers to arrive and centre caps but thought some maybe interested in how an empty panel van looks without any tweeks to suspension etc.

Before
48B8811A-1507-45BA-87C1-2752FB06551E.jpegB25379BE-C559-4B28-BE1E-ABB3BD002706.jpeg

after

069DB990-3319-462A-B80A-E82D4F83D0C0.jpeg5C62BEC7-C0A5-4BDE-A720-67C1A8112D45.jpeg

Okay so on. Setup with nice front rake, may lower the rear abit yet we shall see as
I imagine the rear will settle into the rubbers then may lower a little...

For the numbers.

9/9.5j 235_50_18
350mm fronts
365mm rears
T28 little to no weight

No rubbing lock to lock or on the move so far.

20210327_151531.jpg

20210327_151550.jpg

20210327_151612.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got my banded steels back!

They've cost me a bloody fortune to be honest. They shouldn't have but here's a little history....

Two years ago:
bought package set from highly recommended guy.
9" front, 9.5 rear. 225/55 tyres front, 235/55 rear. Load rating 101 front, 103 rear. fitted and balanced all ready to go.
REALLY wanted them Oryx white to match the van but everyone said get them powder coated not sprayed so had to pick a RAL colour. delivered from UK to Ireland.
cost: €1259 (£1060)
When they came the colour was totally wrong. I suppose it was no ones fault. just tried to discuss colour via text. They were painted Ral 1013.
IMG_3810.JPG

So, went to a powdercoater here in dublin. They stripped tyres, re-did them in Ral 1016. to keep cost down they didn't strip the existing powdercoat off, just top powdercoated them (evetually the cream would bleed through months later) Was a better white for the Oryx van, but still... When i got them back they had refitted the tyres, scratched the inside back ("ah, you wont see that mate") and left the original balancing weights on and painted over them.
cost €280

Six months later van goes in for DOE (commercial MOT in Ireland). Failed due to load rating of rear tyres was 99 (should be 103). Never noticed! Fronts were fine at 101. Had to get two new 103 rated tyres for the rear.
cost €200

Around 2 weeks later....
Thought I had a puncture in the front drivers side tyre. Went to garage. They couldn't see anything in the tyre so pumped it up and found the wheel had failed. Hairline crack at one of the welds. Put the spare on and drove home wondering what the hell to do. THE NEXT DAY, goes out to what looked like a puncture on the passenger side front! Took it to the same garage. This wheel had also failed. Crack on the weld. In all honesty I do not recall hitting anything in the road, etc and the wheels were not dented in anyway, but yet both fronts had failed within 24hrs.

Was prepared to just write them off (valuable lesson bla bla) but after a post on the forum and good advice, I went back to the supplier and he (although equally baffled) agreed to send two brand new wheels over.

Waited about 4-5months but eventually got them. Thought, RIGHT I'm having these in Oryx white goddamit!
Had all four wheels completely stripped by Wheelwizards in Dublin and painted in a base white. they use a high bake, water based paint system. saw some of the wheels they do and they looked amazing.
Then had original tyres fitted BUT not inflated and sitting away from the rim.
Then went to a traditional sprayer who top coated just the fronts in Oryx white. I supplied the paint.
Then got them ceramic coated by a detailing guy.
Then back to tyre fitter for fitting fully, balancing, etc. they charged me for that, and taking tires off months previous so all good. And they were VERY carefull with the newly finished wheels.

Costs:
wheel wizards €324
sprayer €250
Oryx paint (1ltr base white, 1ltr pearl) €150
tire fitting €100
Ceramic coating €130

All in, cost to date: €2693

I feel a bit sick now I've written it down. Anyway, here they are. I do love them. They are also a nightmare to keep clean. But when they are they're stunning. Had them on for about a week now.

IMG_3791.JPG

Last edited:
What a ball-ache but deffo worth it in the end. What suspension are you running?
SoLow coilovers. both front and rear set at highest. Amazingly comfy. When the van is light in the rear, there's a nice rake I think. when its (rarely) loaded, it levels out.
However I'd like them a little higher at the front so have a brand new set of projekt coilovers and H&R ARB's to go on. Then sell the SoLows.

I
SoLow coilovers. both front and rear set at highest. Amazingly comfy. When the van is light in the rear, there's a nice rake I think. when its (rarely) loaded, it levels out.
However I'd like them a little higher at the front so have a brand new set of projekt coilovers and H&R ARB's to go on. Then sell the SoLows.
Id be interested in the solows when you’re ready.

Back