T6 Sink, Microwave and Fridge only unit (No gas hob)

Chris.Cotter

Hi all, new to the forum. I will hopefully soon be undertaking my own conversion. After giving some thought to the cooking situation i have decided that i would prefer not to have a gas hob as part of the kitchen unit. I have been trying to find a unit to purchase that incorporates a sink, microwave and fridge only, plus storage. However i have not been able to find any. Would someone be able to point me the right way of where i may be able to purchase one?

There a some conversion companies that offer bespoke builds.
There are other hob options, diesel hobs, one of which has a combined heater and induction hobs.
Any large electrical consumer on a van will either require EHU or a considerable onboard power bank, this can get expensive and takes up valuable space.

If you go for a regular kitchen unit setup, you could get the worktop without a cutout. Put the microwave in the oven compartment, and cutout just for the sink.

As DXX says, microwave will need a 240V hookup, so no making a quick brew in a beach carpark.

We have a boiling water tap (which has it's own drain), but no sink and no built-in hob. We use a collapsible bowl for washing-up and usually cook outside the van using either a portable induction hob or a BBQ.

To power the above, we have a reasonably large lithium power bank with a large solar panel and a chunky inverter. This works well, but it wasn't cheap and I still wouldn't attempt to use a microwave unless we were on EHU.

Regarding loss of storage space, as a couple in a LWB van, we don't notice the loss at all. Also, the absence of hob & sink provides significant worktop space for meal preparation, which is usually at a premium in a camper.

Porbably not what you wanted - but when we bought our van we specifically looked for one with a gas cooker. Our neighbour has one with a micro-wave and induction hob, and although really nice it needs an EHU to use the hob and the micro-wave is heavy on the leisure battery. So we went old fashioned with gas. Our van came with a part used 904 bottle, and although I bought a 907 to replace it the original bottle has yet to run out.

As for working space - our cooker and sink (and I think most) has a glass lid which provides good working space when closed.

Back