Tailgate Window or Not?

Jimmi

Television Lighting Engineer
T6 Guru
Only about a week left before I can’t make any changes to my spec. I have opted for a tailgate with no window. This was a knee jerk choice as I’ve always had normal vans and was thinking of security for tools etc. But Now thinking that it looks much better with a rear window plus I have a Combi with no bulkhead so security is already compromised! Any opinions on this would be welcome.

I would say window, you could always black out or grill it from inside. But resale would be much better with glazed tailgate. Remember it's also the heating wash wipe and associated wires / switch gear you are getting with glazed. Not easy to change later if you wanted glazing. :)

My T6 is a work van, and I have no intention of turning into a Camper anytime soon, so none glazed for me, and I prefer the cleaner less cluttered look without glass and wiper arm etc.

However, if I did plan on Campering it in the future, then i'd probably go for glazed from the factory.
If it's just the look you want from a glazed tailgate, then compromise with a fake rear window. By this I mean install this VW T6 Tailgate Rear Window | VW T6 LWB, VW T6 SWB | Camper Glass It's potentially a DIY job, gives you the look you require, and obviously won't compromise security.

im definitely moving more towards the window thing as it’ll make it lighter in the back for the kids. They’re not exactly sold on the idea of going to school in a van! Before I decided to get rid of my car and van, and just run one vehicle I had a BMW 3.0 GT MSport so the kids think I’m mad. Unfortunately they don’t realise that money doesn’t grow on trees.....

im definitely moving more towards the window thing as it’ll make it lighter in the back for the kids. They’re not exactly sold on the idea of going to school in a van! Before I decided to get rid of my car and van, and just run one vehicle I had a BMW 3.0 GT MSport so the kids think I’m mad. Unfortunately they don’t realise that money doesn’t grow on trees.....

My kids were exactly the same, until I slammed mine, threw on a set of monster banded steels, and did my thing to the exterior, now I'm the coolest Dad on the school run according to their friends :eek:
As for money not growing on tree's. To the uninitiated, it's a 'Van' but to those of us that buy these things, they cost nearly as much as most Range Rovers, and more than most BMW's, but with the added bonus they are worth twice as much as many prestige cars after several years. Win win in my book.
(plus you never loose it in a carpark)

I would say window, you could always black out or grill it from inside. But resale would be much better with glazed tailgate. Remember it's also the heating wash wipe and associated wires / switch gear you are getting with glazed. Not easy to change later if you wanted glazing. :)

To be fair, I like the look of the glazed-with-no-wiper look - clean lines and all that.
I’ve got a glazed window on my PV with no wiper or heater and, of course it gets dirty and wet but, water repellant does a half-decent job.

I think I would always go for a window, as others have said for your own preference you can blank it off but when it comes to selling the van I believe no window could put potential purchasers off.

Rod

Thanks for the opinions, I’m never normally this indesisive! But I’m pretty sure I’m going to call up tomorrow and order the rear window

I had a T4 800 special with a window, T5 without and T6 with.

I would go with but depends on individual needs.

Last edited:
Is that just for looks or do you prefer it for driving? I’ve been driving a sprinter for so long I never use the rear view mirror....Also do yiu think it makes the rear seats any less van like?
Being able to see out the rear widow is invaluable for me.

Go for the window and put a dark tint film on it; you can see out but others cant see in. Im having some curtains put up behind the driver and passenger seat in my kombi so I can shut off the back for security and privacy.

I’ve emailed the dealer and changed it too tailgate with window

I went without but with reversing camera, preferred the look and believe it or not am using the back of the van as a projector screen instead of having a tv

No rear window for me, never been an issue, and Bike rack on all the time so view would have been restricted anyway.

Back