Tailgate Stand-Off Latch

I've all but given up on mine. I spent another 15 mins with it this afternoon trying to make it work, but I just don't see how it can line up. As soon as the hook gets anywhere near the latch it just knocks it over... The whole thing sits too far over to the right, but I can't for the life of me figure out how else it can go.

IMG_20220626_161017.jpg

IMG_20220626_161010.jpg

IMG_20220626_160946.jpg

I've all but given up on mine. I spent another 15 mins with it this afternoon trying to make it work, but I just don't see how it can line up. As soon as the hook gets anywhere near the latch it just knocks it over... The whole thing sits too far over to the right, but I can't for the life of me figure out how else it can go.

View attachment 162499

View attachment 162500

View attachment 162501
In my experimentation today, I did find that the part that the catch latches onto needs to be central. With the bracket as you've shown the door catch will miss it.

You need to rotate the clamp a little do that the latching part is central (In-line with the red line as opposed ti the blue line):
67F783E6-4968-4E82-95B6-31D51E2D19A2.jpeg

This was the reason that I was so careful when closing the tailgate onto the bracket.

It does work well, but not the most user friendly little thing.

In my experimentation today, I did find that the part that the catch latches onto needs to be central. With the bracket as you've shown the door catch will miss it.

You need to rotate the clamp a little do that the latching part is central (In-line with the red line as opposed ti the blue line):
View attachment 162520

This was the reason that I was so careful when closing the tailgate onto the bracket.

Yes, I thought exactly the same but can't work out how to rotate it such that the latch is closer to aligning with the post. Infuriating!

Yes, I thought exactly the same but can't work out how to rotate it such that the latch is closer to aligning with the post. Infuriating!
Weird! There must be a more elegant solution to this problem!

Would be interested to hear how you get on. I bought the Travelin Lite one and can't for the life of me make it work.
I have just tried it and it works fine.

544EC424-1A78-4E2F-AA7E-B44716602832.jpeg 29FC57B9-86C3-4B9F-AA52-AB49F1868B88.jpeg

It’s a bit fiddly to click into place, as I cannot access that space from inside the van because the bed is in the way, but I managed to it after a couple of tries.

I have just tried it and it works fine.

View attachment 163825 View attachment 163826

It’s a bit fiddly to click into place, as I cannot access that space from inside the van because the bed is in the way, but I managed to it after a couple of tries.
@Chris Sherwood, stupid question, but presumably the tailgate is locked in that ajar position?

Also, does anyone know if this is compatible with an electric tailgate, or would the closing mechanism determine the stand-off to be an obstruction and re-open the tailgate?

Yes it locks ajar.
I doubt it would work with an electric tailgate but it may.

It works ok with soft close at least. Mine's not a travelinlite but similar and I have soft close but not full electric. If the electric closing stops when soft close kicks in it might work.

Reactions: Bav
@Chris Sherwood, stupid question, but presumably the tailgate is locked in that ajar position?

Also, does anyone know if this is compatible with an electric tailgate, or would the closing mechanism determine the stand-off to be an obstruction and re-open the tailgate?
It would detect an obstruction and try to bounce back but the lock may have caught and prevent this.

It would detect an obstruction and try to bounce back but the lock may have caught and prevent this.
Hmmm, good point @Deaky - imagine the error codes it would throw :rofl: (not to mention the potential for damaging the tailgate motor :eek:).

Hmmm, good point @Deaky - imagine the error codes it would throw :rofl: (not to mention the potential for damaging the tailgate motor :eek:).
I use one on my electric tailgate and it works fine. You just need to stop the door just before it closes (enough to get the link in) and then gentle push the last bit till it latches.

View attachment 162520

Yours looks a lot thicker than the others I’ve seen? Maybe that’s the issue? Bought one off Amazon last week for £6 and it works perfectly?

I use one on my electric tailgate and it works fine. You just need to stop the door just before it closes (enough to get the link in) and then gentle push the last bit till it latches.
Good to know @Whitty, thanks.

I've finally managed to get mine to work. Contrary to all the pictures in this thread, I threaded it in from the left hand side, so effectively upside down. I wonder whether the angled edge implies this is meant to be that way up?

I also tucked the rubber seal under the plastic threshold to stop the latch angling up too much.

Looking like a warm night tonight so hopefully it'll help!

IMG_20220709_122827.jpg

IMG_20220709_122832.jpg

Reactions: CAB
Tried mine yesterday, brought when I got the van but never used it. Doesn't seem a tight fit and just flops around?

Yes, that's the problem I had. It took 3 or so sessions of head scratching and fiddling, giving up and coming back to it before I found an orientation that works.

It just seems weird (to me anyway) that ostensibly the same vans can seem to be so different. We used ours again most nights during our recent 3 week trip with no problems whatsoever. As a 'more mature' right handed person, it would seem almost counterintuitive for me to try to fit the thing from the left.

It just seems weird (to me anyway) that ostensibly the same vans can seem to be so different. We used ours again most nights during our recent 3 week trip with no problems whatsoever. As a 'more mature' right handed person, it would seem almost counterintuitive for me to try to fit the thing from the left.
Exactly this!!!

if you have one of these fitted and it rains during the night, does the rain get in or is is closed enough to keep the rain out?

Back