Tailgate Stand-Off Latch

$immo

Built not Bought
T6 Guru
VW T4 - T6 Tailgate Standoff

Has anyone fitted one of these? Thinking of ordering one as it's starting to get warm. Thinking of using it whilst sleeping in my van overnight.

Looks a simple fix and reasonably priced.
Screenshot_20180418-105811_01.jpg

Will it work on Power latching ?
Not the electric doors, its the system that help with the final closing.

Will it work on Power latching ?
Not the electric doors, its the system that help with the final closing.

Hmmm not sure on that one, that's why I was asking if anyone had one, any feedback. If no one has one then perhaps I may just buy one to see .:thumbsup:

That might work on a barn door too ?
I don't have access to my van at the moment, but the latch looks similar.

Pete

Hmmm not sure on that one, that's why I was asking if anyone had one, any feedback. If no one has one then perhaps I may just buy one to see .:thumbsup:
Don’t see why it wouldn’t work on power latched tailgate just not sure of it would see the catch the same as the door so motor may stay in or may stay out so could end up with a fractionally larger gap but it only moves about an inch so not much of a difference

Don’t see why it wouldn’t work on power latched tailgate just not sure of it would see the catch the same as the door so motor may stay in or may stay out so could end up with a fractionally larger gap but it only moves about an inch so not much of a difference

I’ve just bought one - appears to do what it should do. Tailgate doesn’t open and leaves a decent gap for air. The power latching doesn’t kick in unless you push the tailgate in hard, which only causes the gap to close a little more.

Try the brandrup air safe one. I used mine last week and works a treat. I think it’s TUV as well for theft etc? Cheap enough and works on power latching fine

B9B32AE3-6C46-4D25-835B-D751B8818BA1.jpeg

Thread merge
Ok - who can help?

I saw a thing a while ago for that allowed you to lock the tailgate, but with it open a little.

Does that make sense?

Does anyone know what I'm talking about, or did I dream it?

Thread merge
Has anyone else got one of these?

I'm probably missing something fundamental but for the life of me I can't work out how to fit it. I seem to have it orientated and tucked in behind the post per the website photos but it just flaps about and the tailgate won't latch on to it.

I'll email the vendor but thought someone here might be able to help more quickly.

On my sliding door version, just had to hold it in place whilst closing the door so it latched on

That's going to be an issue if you have to close it from the inside or hold it in place as it's shut. No way will I get an arm down there with the bed in place.

Has anyone else got one of these?

I'm probably missing something fundamental but for the life of me I can't work out how to fit it. I seem to have it orientated and tucked in behind the post per the website photos but it just flaps about and the tailgate won't latch on to it.

I'll email the vendor but thought someone here might be able to help more quickly.
My van has barn doors. The offside bracket sits in place and closes first time, the nearside flaps about and takes 3 or 4 attempts to close. I have no idea why as both sides are the same ..

@hunta. I've only just seen your post and so sorry if this is a bit late. Here's 3 photos of the installation sequence which might help. Once it's in place, gently close the tailgate (ie. don't slam it shut).
001.jpg002.jpg
003.jpg

Hmmm, I'm not sure about this stand-off thing!

I was given one and tried it and it slid into place but it felt so insecure and "free to move about" that I wondered if I had fitted it wrongly.
E6306BD8-C0B4-4D04-B2A7-C3EC824A5ED0.jpeg

I lowered my tailgate, being super careful that the catch would bite into the bracket and it was fine:
93BA295A-ABB8-41D1-9257-75EA6771CC75.jpeg

I then opened the tailgate to remove the bracket and it was so difficult to remove that I had to take a step back from the idea of removing the threshold cover to investigate further!

It was properly jammed and after a solid 5 minutes of swearing managed to force the thing out.

It transpired that the power latching hadn't kicked in when the tailgate was opened and the latch was in it's closed state preventing the bracket from being removed easily.

You can see that the latch pin moved slightly from the position which it is usually in when the tailgate is opened:
9CEDF987-817D-49A3-8394-153046D02275.jpeg

Once the bracket was forced out of its position and after the tailgate was closed properly (without the bracket), I tried to install the bracket again and it slotted in and out just as easily as it did when I first tried it!

Can someone please let me know if I am doing something stupid here? I seem to be being beaten by this simple little device!

Edit: Tried and tested it a number of times today and it was great and the problem didn't reoccur after multiple open and closes. I was just unlucky that my power latching failed to "unlatch" the first time I tried it.

Last edited:
Back