Tailgate rattle

So is it the Allan bolt I undo to 6mm, I’m a bit lost with the bump stop issue, next stage will be removing my rear 2-1 seats to see if they are the issue.

Well I think I’ve sorted mine out, it was the screw driver that came lose from its handle and was rattling inside the wheel brace

281171E4-EB11-4FCA-BB69-547C6A835939.jpeg

Bast***$ noise is back!!! Taken the jack out and it’s stopped so it something vibrating possibly the plastic jack housing. All smugness removed

Bast***$ noise is back!!! Taken the jack out and it’s stopped so it something vibrating possibly the plastic jack housing. All smugness removed

I've wrapped everything metal within the jack case with ellow dusters and old cotton shirt rags
its the nearside item in the jack that rattles
once they are all wrapped, no more rattles from that element

plenty more rattles, but working through from back to front
next ones are the clunk from the 2+1 rear seats every time i go over a bump

Yep I was looking at putting tape on the jack case, it’s sat in the foot well in the passenger side atm, the good thing is I know it linked to the jack,

Anybody who has struggled getting the tailgate to stop squeaking and rattling read this!

The temptation is to screw the bump stops out to put pressure on the door...WRONG.

I sorted mine by screwing the bump stops in, putting a touch of grease on them to mark a peace of tissue paper. Adjust the bump stops until they JUST make contact with the paper result SILENT VAN.

Anything similar for the barn doors? Getting an annoying metallic shuddering when going over rough road - definitely up the back

Hi all,

My T6 Kombi Highline has a rattle from the tailgate. It was pretty easy to locate as it's loud and constant.
I know the Jack can rattle, I've confirmed 100% it's not that, definitely coming from the tailgate.
It's clear to see it closes 2 or 3 mm more on the nearside than the offside, offside is the side rattling.
I recently bought the van, it's 2018 and still has a few months left on the warranty so called VW. They tell me hinges and latches are covered under warranty however, during a investigation if the vehicle shows signs of a previous knock, I will need to pay for the investigation and further for any repairs.
I bought the van from a independent dealership and was told it had not been involved in any knocks or accidents, but how anyone be sure, if it has been, I want to know who's repaired it because its immaculate.
How could VW prove it if it was? Is it worth booking it in with VW and hoping for good experience or should I go to an independent bodywork garage for them to look at it? Any wise words would be massively appreciated. Also any tips on solving the problem myself would be appreciated.

Hope you all are staying safe and well.

Regards,
Andrew

FYI when I'm home with the van I'll get some pictures up.

This might help. I had an annoying rattle from the rear tailgate, the latching pin on the lock, at the bottom, on the body, has an outer sleeve that should spin on centre pin. Mine was not spinning. I spent 10 minutes oiling it & loosening it up with a pair of pliers, & the rattle was gone

This might help. I had an annoying rattle from the rear tailgate, the latching pin on the lock, at the bottom, on the body, has an outer sleeve that should spin on centre pin. Mine was not spinning. I spent 10 minutes oiling it & loosening it up with a pair of pliers, & the rattle was gone
I will most certainly give this a try
Thanks

I had a fairly persistent tailgate rattle until recently. I adjusted the the catch (part bolted to the body, not the tailgate). Loosened off and moved it back as far as it would go, rattle gone. :thumbsup:

Arse-covering stealer. Check under the bumper at the fixings (a giveaway if it has been bumped!)

Just tried this on mine, and it works! I used a 3mm allen key too undo the screw, then pulled the rubber plug out just a couple of threads, and thats all that was needed.

View attachment 16612
Did you actually set these at 12.5mm and leave them there tightened? or then shut tailgate (so they pushed themselves in a bit then tighten them) so the gap would be less than 12.5mm? Everytime i set these to 12.5 then close lid softly then recheck gap before tightening they close up to about 8mm. Also the second measurement of 25mm from front of rubber to head of screw i cant get without fear of snapping screw? i can get it to about 18-20mm then its tight, should i try and screw this more to 25mm? Thx

I had a similar issue to the point I couldn’t face driving the van. Couldn’t locate anything until I tested with the tailgate up and it stopped.

Adjusted the stops either side of the tailgate to 12.5mm and added some silicone grease to the stops and the lock. All good now and it’s been well over a week.

Only issue I have now is I can now hear a rattle from the passenger side of the dash

I had a similar issue to the point I couldn’t face driving the van. Couldn’t locate anything until I tested with the tailgate up and it stopped.

Adjusted the stops either side of the tailgate to 12.5mm and added some silicone grease to the stops and the lock. All good now and it’s been well over a week.

Only issue I have now is I can now hear a rattle from the passenger side of the dash

I had a rattle on the passenger side of the dash for over a year that I could never locate. It ended up being the black plastic cover on the rear view mirror. Tap the cover where the base of the mirror meets the windscreen / headliner. If it vibrates seat it properly or use a bit of foam to wedge between the headliner and the mirror. Sorted out the issue for me.

Back