Tailgate rattle

It was the jack all along.
No it wasn't. It was the tailgate. I've wound the Nobby out as far as I think it'll go. I now just get a little pip squek over speed bumps. Is it worth adding a little vaseline to the seals?

You could try adjusting the striker plate on the bottom in a couple mm then readjust the bump stops to fit ??

UPDATE: Looks like the tailgate stoppers are a VERY temporary solution for creaking tailgate syndrome. 24 hous after and it's back with a vengeance. It's in for an oil change today and I've told them to get it sorted - I'll find out what they've done (if anything) and report back.

Same happened to me. I'll get them to look at it during the service.

You could try adjusting the striker plate on the bottom in a couple mm then readjust the bump stops to fit ??
The striker plate is done up very tight. I don't want the tool to slip or round the bolts. I'll get the stealership to take a look at the next service.

In a show of typical forensic VW brilliance, the solution was to apply some lubricant around the boot seals. I've told them that I cannot see how this could possibly sort out a loud creaking/knocking/rattling noise that is clearly audible over the stereo. Was it road tested? No. Why? Too busy. They weren't too busy to email me a pointless video of the technician walking around the van. Steadying myself to lock horns....again!

I am working through the noises in mine, not sure if yours is a kombi but my 2+1 rear seats seem to produce a metallic rattling noise at low speed sometimes.
Seems to be that they don't click level into the retaining fixings on the floor and get a rattle on.
I currently have them strapped to the load lashings, this seems to have worked.
I have found it easier to take it into VW tell them what's wrong and where and then they can sort it out.
Hope this helps.

My drivers seat creaks on corners and before you ask no I’m not a fat b*****d :laugh:

Much to my surprise, this magic lubricant seems to have done the job. Three days now and not a squeak rattle or creak to be heard. Speaking to the guy at Imperial he said that tailgate noise is quite a common problem and VW use this stuff specifically to correct this issue. Like an idiot I forgot to ask him exactly what it was, and whether or not you can buy it. I'll check next time I'm passing.

Still squeeks now and then. The dealership is blaming it on my conversion. It's happened since it was just a panel van though. Can't be bothered to argue with them.

I have a new T32 with less than 150 miles on the clock, and the metallic knock / rattle from the back has been driving me insane over the last two days. Just tried this and it sees to have fixed the issue. I see in the diagram posted on the previous page the bump stops should be extended 12.5mm, and mine were only set at 6mm. Absolutely over the moon! And hopefully it stays away now.

Hi guys
I have had rattle and squeaks coming from tailgate for nearly 3 years.
After adjusting the bump stops and greasing the seal as mentioned in this thread this helped.
There was still some noise though
Last thing I tried was spraying the top hinges and lock mechanism with wd40.
A lot quieter now, think that was the main cause of noise!

Back