tailgate - opening from inside?

I have not yet figured out how to open the door of my Ocean from the inside ... can it be done? ... I can not see any handle ....

.. I do not see any rubber hood on the tailgate .... or I'm the one that I do not understand ..

The emergency release is well hidden behind the chairs holder. Other than that there is no way to open from the inside without fitting a switch.

Reactions: mmi
It’s not that bad, it only connects onto the existing cables for the exterior handle

Yes they would it, the inside handle wires connect straight to the outside handle wires so there’s only two wires to join

I wish I had the know how to do this to mine.
Piece of cake, this was how I did it

The OEM switch is pretty easy to install as it simply connects onto the wires for the outside handle (passing through the child lock switch also if you wish to fit one) the only issue is button illumination as there is no ambient lighting feed in the rear to power the button light
If you get stuck with the connector give me a shout I can supply and/or pre wire a connector for you if needed

Hey Pauly,

we just use the number plate light for illumination of the switch

To help you to avoid wrong colour here are part numbers for a factory fitted black switch ;) from a panel van:
Switch 7E5959551 (black)
Frame 7E0858099 (black)
View attachment 21556
The OEM switch has 180 ohm resistor built in between pins 1 and 4 (switch doesn't short circuit but 180 ohms) but anything less than 370 ohms seemed to work.

In my panel van the switch was active (to open the tailgate) only when doors were unlocked as it seemed to be just parallel to outside switch. Couldn't open it if doors were locked by remote. I didn't verify it it was different if locked from drivers door :unsure:.

Hi there,

Just reading your very interesting piece on retrofitting a tailgate switch.

Van is going into VW main dealer on Wednesday. I just phoned them. And asked if they can fit me the switch as van is till under warranty with them. As a highline 2018 T6 panel van
with motorised tailgate handle.

I have given them the part numbers
for switch and frame. They are querying it. And stating they have never seen or fitted one.

Do you know if their is a part number for the Cable please ? And I presume it won’t require coding?

Kind regards

Andrew

Hi there,

Just reading your very interesting piece on retrofitting a tailgate switch.

Van is going into VW main dealer on Wednesday. I just phoned them. And asked if they can fit me the switch as van is till under warranty with them. As a highline 2018 T6 panel van
with motorised tailgate handle.

I have given them the part numbers
for switch and frame. They are querying it. And stating they have never seen or fitted one.

Do you know if their is a part number for the Cable please ? And I presume it won’t require coding?

Kind regards

Andrew
Unfortunately no part number for the cable.
Actually there is more to read when using VW parts
---> Retrofitting Tailgate Handle and Switch
The OEM switch had a 180 ohm resistor which worked for me as factory installed but didn't work for @saxoboy

Has anyone found a simple means of adding an internal unlocking function for the rear tailgate? I’ve seen solutions that require major interventions in electrical circuitry that I could not even dream of implementing.

I’ve found the little metal lever inside the door behind the removable plastic plug and know that by simply inserting a finger and moving that lever down the lock pops open, but surely there is a less crude way to jury rig something to make this a day to day process !!!

Has anyone found a simple means of adding an internal unlocking function for the rear tailgate? I’ve seen solutions that require major interventions in electrical circuitry that I could not even dream of implementing.

I’ve found the little metal lever inside the door behind the removable plastic plug and know that by simply inserting a finger and moving that lever down the lock pops open, but surely there is a less crude way to jury rig something to make this a day to day process !!!
The electrical solution really isn’t complicated, just fit a push switch that touches the two wires from the latch together and that’s it. It’s about as basic as an electric circuit can get.
How to guide

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the rear window on a 2018 Transporter is laminated glass or tempered which can be broken if needed to act as emergency exit?

Should be tempered glass.

Adding a switch is really easy. The outer handle has 2 wires going to it which you can connect another switch in parallel.

Back