Tailgate LED lighting

I've just found this thread when searching for something else. Loving the spots in the tailgate.

I fitted an LED bar light in my Shuttle connected to a leisure battery. It's switchable. I have spots which turn on by touching the metal outer ring. If I fitted these I think I'd need a separate isolator switch incase anything inside the boot touched them turning them on accidentally.

IMG_20220624_174642.jpg

Actually both, I have an ON-OFF-ON switch in the rear panel so I can use either

Because I have a shuttle I get a plastic trim along the top, so I took the light bar to pieces, screwed it directly through the back and re-soldered new wires that went through the rear but you could use it in its standard form in any van without the trim, I'd suggest adding some double sided tape along the length of the back as well as the screws on the end

View attachment 147654

And the mini floods...

Hi there,

I’m currently fitting those LED floods you’ve fitted to my T6 Shuttle tailgate as you have done. However, I’ve removed the OEM rear courtesy lamp assembly but used its power loom to supply these lights in the tailgate with a protective fuse for them. So, having tested them before I fit my new ply rear panel, I’ve noticed they remain permanently lit but quite dull and then operate correctly when I open the tailgate as they should. It appears the CANBUS system is causing the LEDs to remain on with what I presume is a low residual current? Do I need a load resistor here? I did notice on the OEM courtesy lamp unit there is a diode across it, is this something I need to replicate on my new LED-based spot lamp circuit?

I'm looking to do this soon, I've got a pull out bike drawer in the back of my van and for night rides it'd be great to have illumination over the drawer when it's open to let me see when putting the bikes in.

1000005194.jpg
As you can see, the drawer comes out slightly further than the tailgate
1000007346.jpg

I need to fit it soon as I want to fit a rear curtain and removing the trim panel with the curtain attached would be a right faff.

I was looking at these led units, one either side on the lower tailgate, they're angled so they'd be pointing towards each other at about a 45 degrees angle down:

1000007348.jpg

However, seeing as they're 1900lm, I think one would be enough. Then looking at the trim in the back of the Caravelle, I could mount one on this section:

1000007347.jpg

Which would save me the massive hassle of removing the tailgate interior trim (which if it's anything like the sliding door trim, is NOT something I wish to repeat!). I think nearly 2000lm would be enough, right? :rofl:

My light was delivered the other day, I've *ahem* "mocked up" the position and wired it in temporarily to a switch off the LB.

Just need to wait until it gets dark now!

1000007452.jpg
1000007454.jpg

On a side note, in this position it could have other uses...

1000007455.jpg
I don't think it'll be enough light on its own so I'll probably end up adding a couple of these to the bottom of the tailgate.

I don't think it'll be enough light on its own so I'll probably end up adding a couple of these to the bottom of the tailgate.
Oh, boy. Erm, I was a little wrong.
Std non LED boot lights. This pic is about as I see it.
1000007463.jpg
New boot light.
1000007457.jpg
1000007458.jpg

This pic shows just how bright it is. Even 15ft away from the back of the van there's still ample light to see anything.
1000007459.jpg
1000007461.jpg

Even with the tailgate closed, there's enough light to see and do stuff in the pitch black.
1000007460.jpg

I might even be a bit TOO bright, it'll be angled down more slightly when fitted but I'm concerned it floods light too far back.

Accidentally switch this on in the middle of a campsite at midnight and I'd not only piss off everyone in tents in a 50ft radius, I'd attract everything single flying insect for 50 miles, and probably some small aircraft too...

Back