I need to install the resistor but I’m unsure what wire to connect too. Is there a colour or any idea? I don’t have a multimeter.

@LambethBoy i shamelessly copied your diagram from an earlier post:whistle:, and like being at school again, I’ve been caught out!;)

So would you be able to answer the above from your experience?

If not I believe the wiring diagrams are available to view with VIP membership @4ndy

Just remember the brown ground wire changes colour after the connector - once I realised this fitting was easy but if your instructions, like mine, give a PIN number for the indicator wire but just states “brown wire” for ground it can leave you scratching your head for a bit with indicating brake lights :thumbsdown:

I went with a different location as I use my hazards frequently, to dissipate the heat, I wanted my resistors bolted to a metal frame.
I went under the front passenger seat, screwed the resistor to the frame and tapped into the rear indicator feed there. I was testing the circuit so fitted the horrible scotch locks. I will use a proper wiring pin and bring both wires together in the plug housing for future installations. The other resistor lead is earthed. No rapid flash.
Also with the non LED type lights originally fitted to my van, I ran a second reverse and a second fog to get two fogs and two reverse on the new T6.1 lights instead of only one reverse and one fog without the mod.

2307F7FE-C713-442A-A642-CD004675AB21.png

CF6C90C1-4CC5-420A-9B07-DB3C645CA1A3.png

DD445E15-5951-43E4-9CB4-C831A0100646.png

82368B91-8613-4615-9F46-0F1FEE7215F4.png

8F4A8077-D95C-4218-B8A4-77416904F244.png

Last edited:
I went with a different location as I use my hazards frequently, to dissipate the heat, I wanted my resistors bolted to a metal frame.
I went under the front passenger seat, screwed the resistor to the frame and tapped into the rear indicator feed there. I was testing the circuit so fitted the horrible scotch locks. I will use a proper wiring pin and bring both wires together in the plug housing for future installations. The other resistor lead is earthed. No rapid flash.
Also with the non LED type lights originally fitted to my van, I ran a second reverse and a second fog to get two fogs and two reverse on the new T6.1 lights instead of only one reverse and one fog without the mod.

View attachment 116467

View attachment 116468

View attachment 116469

View attachment 116470

View attachment 116471

That's a great solution tapping in to the connectors there.

View attachment 116467

View attachment 116468

View attachment 116469

View attachment 116470

View attachment 116471
So on the green plug tap into the black/white
On the brown plug tap into the green/black

Is that correct?

Also what route did you run your wire through to the other light to do your double reverse light/fog?

Thanks

So on the green plug tap into the black/white
On the brown plug tap into the green/black

Is that correct?

Also what route did you run your wire through to the other light to do your double reverse light/fog?

Thanks
They are the correct colours BUT one of the plugs has two wires the same colours, but the other way round ( I can’t remember just now but something like SWGN instead of GN/SW or WS/SW instead of SW/WS) if you connect it to the wrong wire you will still get rapid flash on one side. Look at a wiring diagram to make sure you get the right pins. I am not near my computer but will have a look later. NB WS is white GN is green and SW is black, don’t want to teach you to suck eggs as don’t know how familiar you are with CFD’s, or current flow diagrams.
I went up the pillars to the roof and picked up the loom in the left rear upper section. See images
I used yellow repair wire (this indicates to every VW workshop an additional wire or repair has been made) and crimped the correct connector on the end rather than using a short repair wire and having to connect to that, then run an extension wire which makes a bulky loom rather than having it look original (some people just want to make it functional, but I take a bit longer so it looks right, that way if it does go into a workshop they don’t immediately think sh1t what is going on with this rats nest).
For interior looms, use the soft flocked tape to tidy up afterwards.
When adding the additional wire to the light plug, use normal good quality insulation tape like they did from the factory. Don’t poke a hole in the body grommet to get the wire through, unwind the factory tape, place the wire through and apply new tape in the same way they did to seal it correctly around the grommet. Use a wire seal on the repair wire to seal the connector.
I had to convert from standard lights to 6.1 lights in the pic so had to fit a new connector which is why all the wires are loose in one shot.

158E2DEC-0E35-48A8-B078-194FBF875E93.png

35BF2FBE-3CA8-49AF-B84E-29E42FCF6E8F.png

C36A53FE-F7CF-4C1A-B44B-800D9E8BC9BF.png

D3D31AA2-AC5D-4D78-BD7E-82E05256A1B9.png

31D62187-73C0-424A-A050-CD461280C56E.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Rg_
They are the correct colours BUT one of the plugs has two wires the same colours, but the other way round ( I can’t remember just now but something like SWGN instead of GN/SW or WS/SW instead of SW/WS) if you connect it to the wrong wire you will still get rapid flash on one side. Look at a wiring diagram to make sure you get the right pins. I am not near my computer but will have a look later. NB WS is white GN is green and SW is black, don’t want to teach you to suck eggs as don’t know how familiar you are with CFD’s, or current flow diagrams.
I went up the pillars to the roof and picked up the loom in the left rear upper section. See images
I used yellow repair wire (this indicates to every VW workshop an additional wire or repair has been made) and crimped the correct connector on the end rather than using a short repair wire and having to connect to that, then run an extension wire which makes a bulky loom rather than having it look original (some people just want to make it functional, but I take a bit longer so it looks right, that way if it does go into a workshop they don’t immediately think sh1t what is going on with this rats nest).
For interior looms, use the soft flocked tape to tidy up afterwards.
When adding the additional wire to the light plug, use normal good quality insulation tape like they did from the factory. Don’t poke a hole in the body grommet to get the wire through, unwind the factory tape, place the wire through and apply new tape in the same way they did to seal it correctly around the grommet. Use a wire seal on the repair wire to seal the connector.
I had to convert from standard lights to 6.1 lights in the pic so had to fit a new connector which is why all the wires are loose in one shot.

View attachment 125659

View attachment 125660

View attachment 125661

View attachment 125662

View attachment 125663
Thanks mate, I've just gone from T6 Halogens to T6.1 LEDS re-pinning the plugs. Now just waiting on the resistors to fit in and would like to run the wire to get the twin functions.

Back