T6 vs T5.1 differences

Ed Webb

Webber
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Hi guys,
As you can probably tell I'm new to the T6 scene. I had a T4 a few years ago and super stoked to get back in the dub club.
My only observation is when it comes to styling and picking accessories out for my new T6 many of which at the same as the T5.
so my question is, Is there an obvious rule to help me work out when a T5 part will do or when it has to be t6 specific.

As a general rule the T6 is built on the same chassis and body as the T5 so sidebars/roof bars are the same
Rear end - barn doors are the same so spoilers will fit but tailgates are different so spoilers/bike racks do not fit
Front end - completely redesigned so bonnet/wings are different and nothing really carries over
Electrics - this is one of the major changes for T6s, most systems have been redesigned and utilise new control modules so apart from really basic items like interior light fittings everything is different
Interior - obviously the dash has been redesigned but the rest is pretty much the same, seating is similar but the seats are very slightly different in shape and headrests are bigger, so seat covers are different but seats are interchangeable between 5/6 models as utilises the same fixings etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Perfect. So I'm assuming a T5 barn door Fiamma bike rack will fit my T6?
This will help me when looking for my long list of accessories.
Super excited to get the van and start slapping some bling on it!!!

Thanks for your help.

Hi
Has anyone put a rear 5.1 bumper on a t6? Reason I am asking, I have a basic panel van and t6 bumpers are more expensive at the minute. The only difference I can see is the reflectors in the rear of the bumper barn doors are different to a hatch any way so was thinking of buying a 5.1 primed and painting that does any one know if this has been done or can not be done. It’s I don’t want to spend a fortune on a T6 bumper if a T5.1 will fit at half the price.

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a barn-door van, then yes - the rear bumper (roof spoiler, taillamp (shape) and barn doors) are the same across the T5.1 and the T6.

If you have a tailgate van then no - the bumper profiles are different. However, you can use a T5.1 bumper with a T6 tailgate without issue - all you’ll see is that the profile around the bottom corners of the tailgate is slightly different, as is the shape of the reflectors.

See here:
Difference between barn-door bumper and tailgate bumper?

No dramas. What van have you got -
tailgate or barn-door?

Try Kernow Transporters or some of the other breakers - you might find that a second-hand bumper in your colour is in stock.

That’s odd - is it definitely a T5.1 or a T5 bumper? Where doesn’t it fit?

When I bought my T6 tailgate bumper for my (barn-door to tailgate conversion on my) van, the TPS salesman told me that the T5.1 and T6 barn-door vans shared the same bumper.

Evening, I’m after some advice from any Transporter experts and owners out there.
I have been looking at buying a T6 102 for a little while but looking into it I have found there to be a lot of similarities between a later model T5 and T6. Has anyone had both and is it worth justfying the price difference as there are some cracking T5s with not an excessive amount of miles out there, at very reasonable prices.
Was the T6 purely a facelift or were there some significant changes?
I drive mostly motorway mileage with a daily commute totalling 90 miles so fuel costs and noise are important.
Cheers

As a general rule the T6 is built on the same chassis and body as the T5 so sidebars/roof bars are the same
Rear end - barn doors are the same so spoilers will fit but tailgates are different so spoilers/bike racks do not fit
Front end - completely redesigned so bonnet/wings are different and nothing really carries over
Electrics - this is one of the major changes for T6s, most systems have been redesigned and utilise new control modules so apart from really basic items like interior light fittings everything is different
Interior - obviously the dash has been redesigned but the rest is pretty much the same, seating is similar but the seats are very slightly different in shape and headrests are bigger, so seat covers are different but seats are interchangeable between 5/6 models as utilises the same fixings etc
@Pauly - that’s a brilliant summary!

Hi all, late to the thread sorry but are T5 and T6.1 external door handles the same, I have lost the small section that holds the handle in place on my passenger cab door, the part is only sold by VW in primer but I’ve found one on eBay same colour from a T5 when I have a T6.1.
Thanks

Back