T6 to T6.1 LED Taillight upgrade (Tailgate)

Morning

Has anyone upgraded their rear lamp units on a Tailgate T6 to the T6.1 LED Rear Lamp Clusters? The below link is what I am in the process of going to buy.

T6.1 LED Rear Lights Tailgate Genuine Parts Transporter 16 On | eBay

Is it an easy straight swap, if not what needs to be done and where do we source the products from that are needed to make this a simple switch over?

Thanks for all your help.

Yes, i've done this mod. They were really easy, but you need to wire in resistors, which wasn't difficult.

Mine were from these guys and came with the resistors in the kit, which was a big help. Volkswagen Transporter T6.1 Rear LED Light Upgrade For T6

Bare in mind that if you are not factory LED already, then you need to click the Halogen kit. Well worth doing, and really freshens up the rear of a T6.

Morning

Has anyone upgraded their rear lamp units on a Tailgate T6 to the T6.1 LED Rear Lamp Clusters? The below link is what I am in the process of going to buy.

T6.1 LED Rear Lights Tailgate Genuine Parts Transporter 16 On | eBay

Is it an easy straight swap, if not what needs to be done and where do we source the products from that are needed to make this a simple switch over?

Thanks for all your help.
I’m surprised this thread didn’t come up on your search:

If you are halogen at the moment I would suggest you don’t go for the option that suits existing halogen setups and go for the type that fit existing LED rears. Repinning and adding the 2 extra wires crossing over is easily done and it means you end up with double reversing and fog lights rather than only one of each.

Reactions: DXX
If you are halogen at the moment I would suggest you don’t go for the option that suits existing halogen setups and go for the type that fit existing LED rears. Repinning and adding the 2 extra wires crossing over is easily done and it means you end up with double reversing and fog lights rather than only one of each.
Hi mate where do I add the extra wires? Just seen this after fitting my T6.1 leds. Not got the double reverse and fog.

Hi mate where do I add the extra wires? Just seen this after fitting my T6.1 leds. Not got the double reverse and fog.
You just bridge them from side to side, I.e.take a feed from the reversing light from one side and wire into the empty pin on the other side and vice versa for the fogs

Last edited:
You just bridge them from side to side, I.e.take a feed from the reversing light and oneside and wire into the empty pin on the other side and vice versa for the fogs
Ah got you now. Whats the best route to send a pic of wire across? Down across behind the rear bumper then back up?

I have a tailgate t6 with damaged rear led clusters. I want to change to t6.1 led clusters and wondered if I need a link harness with resistors or can I just change the pin outs. I'm sure info is here somewhere but I can't find it. If someone here can make the link harness I'm happy to pay. As a side note, I have a lamp out warning on the dash (blamed on my towbar harness as it wasn't fitted by vw and they are unable to figure it out) if the resistor just stops the warning I'm happy to ommit it and turn the lamp warning off with vcds unless someone can suggest a better fix

They use the same plug and are a straight swap, you will get a build out warning on the dash and a (false) fast flash internally when using the indicators, a resistor will sort this out

@Loz has done it and posted some pics of his setup

Back