[Guide] T6.1 Tailgate LED Taillamps - Heres What I Did

Eddie Sutherland

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Pro
So i seen one of the guys on one of my FB groups had installed the new T6.1 tailgate LED rear lights and though yes i want those. So here is what you need and how i installed them.

Tools required:
Screw drivers and trim removal tool
Pin removing tool or two very small precision screwdrivers.
soldering iron
Crimping pliers
Side cutters
VCDS

Method:
Remove old lights
2.Have a clean up around the area i was surprised at how much crap gets behind these lights.
3. De-pin the old plugs using a de-pining tool(make sure you remove the purple lock slide from inside the plug before atempting de-pining)
4.Run additional twin wire behind rear bumper between the two lights
5. Install pins to new plugs like so:

LH Light
Pin numbers (PN) are on the side of the plug 1-6
Grey/Black -Side Light - Pin 1
Additional wire if twin fog wanted Pin 2 to Pin 5 RH Light using one of the JPT terminals that came with the new plugs.
Black/White - Indicator - Pin 3
Brown - Earth - Pin 4
Green/Black - Reverse - Pin 5
Black/Red - Brake - Pin 6

RH Light

Black/Red - Brake - Pin 1
Additional wire if twin Reverse wanted Pin 2 to Pin 5 LH Light using one of the JPT terminals that came with the new plugs.
Brown - Earth - Pin 3
Black/Green - Indicator - Pin 4
Grey/White - Fog - Pin 5
Grey/Red - Sidelight - Pin 6

Plug new lights in and test all functions
7.If no issues dress loom and fully install lights
8. Stand back and admire your handy work.
9. Use VCDS to deactivate lamp diagnostics as this throws up the bulb out light, you will also have hyper-flash when you indicate as the system thinks there is a bulb out. i have been informed that a couple of resistors on the indicator lines at the lights will resolve this as it cant be coded out.

Items required:
New lights - part numbers 7LA945207A & ‘208A’
Two Bosch/VW female plugs i got OEM ones from here:

https://www.simtekuk.co.uk/product.php/6_way_vw-bosch_male_connector_large/?k=:::1569656

a length of twin core wire (speaker wire) 2.5m long (only required if you want to have twin fog & reverse, if only one per side wanted then not needed).

Note this only applies to T6 tailgate models due to the physical shape of the light units.

So i seen one of the guys on one of my FB groups had installed the new T6.1 tailgate LED rear lights and though yes i want those. So here is what you need and how i installed them.

Tools required:
soldering iron
Crimping pliers
Side cutters
VCDS

Method:
Remove old lights
2.Have a clean up around the area i was surprised at how much crap gets behind these lights.
3. De-pin the old plugs using a de-pining tool(make sure you remove the purple lock slide from inside the plug before atempting de-pining)

LH Light
Additional wire if twin fog wanted Pin 2 to Pin 5 RH Light using one of the JPT terminals that came with the new plugs.
Brown - Earth - Pin 4

RH Light

Additional wire if twin Reverse wanted Pin 2 to Pin 5 LH Light using one of the JPT terminals that came with the new plugs.
Brown - Earth - Pin 3
Grey/White - Fog - Pin 5

9. Use VCDS to deactivate lamp diagnostics as this throws up the bulb out light, you will also have hyper-flash when you indicate as the system thinks there is a bulb out. i have been informed that a couple of resistors on the indicator lines at the lights will resolve this as it cant be coded out.

Items required:

https://www.simtekuk.co.uk/product.php/6_way_vw-bosch_male_connector_large/?k=:::1569656

a length of twin core wire (speaker wire) 2.5m long (only required if you want to have twin fog & reverse, if only one per side wanted then not needed).

Note this only applies to T6 tailgate models due to the physical shape of the light units.
Hi I have brought all the parts to do a tailgate conversion including 6.1 led lights do you know if barn door wiring will pin the same way?

Tools required:
soldering iron
Crimping pliers
Side cutters
VCDS

Method:
Remove old lights

LH Light
Brown - Earth - Pin 4

RH Light

Brown - Earth - Pin 3
Grey/White - Fog - Pin 5

Items required:

So if I already have the Factory T6 LED’s they are plug and play? Or will I have to add resistors to the indicator wires?

You will get fast flash on the dash (although fine from outside) so will need resistors to correct

Back