Definately sounds like the brake light fault. It shouldn't be a problem if you are still under warranty.

As for myself, no water coming out of the drain holes after new brake light fitted, but still getting water dripping into the back around the tailgate hinges.

i had a weird one like this had the 3rd brake light changed but they found the carpet that was fitted to around the door seals went right into the seal itself so when the water was draining from above the carpet sucked up the water which eventually made its way onto the rear inside, i removed the rubber door seal cut back all the carpet to inside and refitted.. nothing since i am pleased to say

Hi all,

Since I have had my spoiler off to fit a bike rack I’ve noticed water leaking from my tailgate when it’s open after we’ve had bad weather. Doing some reading up suggests it’s not uncommon for the 3rd brake light to leak, so this seems to be the logical root cause.

I can’t find one anywhere online. There’s plenty of barn door lights or for a T5 but can’t find a T6 one other than smoked which I don’t want. Does anybody know where I can get one, preferably OEM?

Worst case I will speak to a dealer just trying to avoid that if I can.

The part number you need is 7E0945087 and can have either a C, E or F suffix. Not much turns up on eBay, perhaps try TPS and compare their price to the dealer?

The part number you need is 7E0945087 and can have either a C, E or F suffix. Not much turns up on eBay, perhaps try TPS and compare their price to the dealer?
Thanks, that’s great. Any idea what the difference is between the suffix?

Thanks, that’s great. Any idea what the difference is between the suffix?
To be honest, no, but I would expect them all to work, it may be that only the latest suffix is available should you go through a dealer or TPS, but others may pop up on ebay or similar sites.

The suffix refers to a newer version or modification.

Recently found water entering the tailgate area at the corners where the radius is tightest, top and bottom both sides. On careful looking it seemed that the seal had been stretched round the corners causing the upper part of the seal to break away from the metal lip. To my knowledge this seal has never been removed from new (T6 2018). Removed the seal and replaced making sure the corners were not stretched. Result, no leaks no matter how much water I flood over the back. However, now the two ends of the seal no longer meet. There is a 3 cm gap. Wondered if anyone else had come across this? I am either going to have to live with the gap, try and fill it with a flexible mastic or purchase a new seal - I anticipate the last option.

It’s a case of working the seal until it fits, same with any long rubber seal. This shouldn’t mean it is off at the corners.
A small amount of stretch over the length rather than a lot of stretch over a short piece. It may take several attempts.

Thank you both. Worked the length of the seal and got the ends to within 2 mm. Happy with that, will tape over the gap and see how thing so.

My van is out of warranty so I need to change the High level brake light due to a leak. Does anyone know if there easy to remove?

My van is out of warranty so I need to change the High level brake light due to a leak. Does anyone know if there easy to remove?
They’ll remove easily enough, but often by breaking. You can try and tease it out with a few cards, but it’s not easy.

My van is 2017 with tailgate can someone confirm that it has to be broken to take it out mine was leaking and I managed to crack it trying to take it out now back in with a bit of epoxy glue . Seems the only supply of these is through VW dealerships or through a internet based company called O M S. I am wondering if this is TMS for non trade customers. Any advice appreciated.

I rang by body shop Tuesday and they ordered from TMS when I turned up they fitted it and as predicted it just broke up front face off first then had to prise the remains out. Big win on the VW assembly line must save 3 or 4 minutes over fitting the previous style with 3 screws . No later types available on e-bay until last night when I found a company in Germany selling them £10 cheaper than TMS ! always the case just hope the new one does not leak.

Well mine has started to leak. I have removed the bungs at the moment but need to replace the high level brake light. Of course warranty ran out in August. Any one done this themselves hints and part number welcome

To add to the above, local VW Van centre quote for replacement part is £43 including VAT. This is cheaper than ebay and smoked option.

jeees - just had to change our 3rd brake light.. what a POS.. i cant believe that this was passed off as ok?! To remove i had to effectively shatter ours in to multiple parts.. theres no-way thats what was planned...?

Back