T6.1 useful/best options for conversion

lowry76

Australian Member
Hi,

After thinking about an adventure mobile for a few years and realising on Christmas that we need a bigger car for both kids + all the gear anyway we decided to put our money into a T6.1 LWB. The idea is to use the car as a people mover for normal life but add camper options (e.g., Vanessa modules) for holidays etc.

Problem is I have no clue about vans, campers and conversions (yet) and would like to ask a couple of questions about the options related to camper conversions.
  1. Second battery: Currently, I decided against a second battery because I plan to get a lithium battery put in later that can be charged with solar and keep the AC running at night (we're in Australia). Does that make sense?
  2. Terminal Block and function control module ... no clue what this is. However, it has a "vehicle conversions" added in brakets so I'm wondering if this is a useful electric/wiring addition for future conversions/extension but, as said, I have no clue. Any help?
Thanks for all (useful) comments already and if there is something I'm missing please let me know

Tim - pretty stocked about our first Van :)

Hi @lowry76 , have you got a base van at the moment or has it had a part campervan conversion.

Do you think when you travel you will stay in caravan parks or wild camp..
Maybe a mixture of both.
Your intended use will dictate what gear is useful.

If staying in caravan parks with 240v power available then solar is not necessary but if you want to camp off the grid then solar panels and a decent leisure battery (preferably lithium, lifepo4 battery) is necessary for running a fridge, lights, etc.

A lot of this gear can be added during the camper conversion.

Often it can be ideal to use the van how it is to get the feel of what kind of travels suit your family. Rather than spend heaps on equipment that may not be used , a few trips may help work out what you all prefer.
Talk to other people with campervans whenever possible to see what they think is good and bad about their conversion and it may point you in the right direction.
Many of us bought all sorts of things early on that we thought would be useful for the van and now realize we dont need them.
Using the van on a few short trips may help you decide what type of conversion is right for you rather than a salesperson telling you what you need.

I dont know what the terminal block thing is so ask before committing to it and explain it on here and someone will give their opinion if its needed.
Ask any questions on here as there is lots of knowledge and experienced members willing to share. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: mmi
Thanks @AussieMick for the tips. We basically decided to do exactly what you suggested, i.e., go on a few trips as is and see what we might need. We definitely thought about solar and already added the leisure battery for a start. Rest will come later ... now the new adventure mobile will just have to arrive. Hopefully it won't take 12 months ...

Hi @lowry76 , have you got a base van at the moment or has it had a part campervan conversion.

Do you think when you travel you will stay in caravan parks or wild camp..
Maybe a mixture of both.
Your intended use will dictate what gear is useful.

If staying in caravan parks with 240v power available then solar is not necessary but if you want to camp off the grid then solar panels and a decent leisure battery (preferably lithium, lifepo4 battery) is necessary for running a fridge, lights, etc.

A lot of this gear can be added during the camper conversion.

Often it can be ideal to use the van how it is to get the feel of what kind of travels suit your family. Rather than spend heaps on equipment that may not be used , a few trips may help work out what you all prefer.
Talk to other people with campervans whenever possible to see what they think is good and bad about their conversion and it may point you in the right direction.
Many of us bought all sorts of things early on that we thought would be useful for the van and now realize we dont need them.
Using the van on a few short trips may help you decide what type of conversion is right for you rather than a salesperson telling you what you need.

I dont know what the terminal block thing is so ask before committing to it and explain it on here and someone will give their opinion if its needed.
Ask any questions on here as there is lots of knowledge and experienced members willing to share. Good luck.
I've ordered a new t6.1 with amg battery and terminal block this is required and not a option for the second battery, from my understanding you have battery monitoring in a digital display above your head in the Center console , the terminal block under my passenger seat allows for cables to be connected for fridges and other buzzy stuff
I don’t really want a agm battery but thought it wise to make sure cables were installed to the battery area ready for a upgrade with a dc to dc charger,
Also reasonable cheap to upgrade to the larger alternator

Hi @lowry76 welcome to the Aussie owners of transporter campers! Mine just arrived in the country last week after I waited 16 months due to COVID delays. The campervan conversion company just told me VW are experiencing further delays with new vehicles due to the fact that they get a part manufactured in the Ukraine. So I hope you do not have to wait too long!

Back