T6.1 swap 8” screen to 9.2”??

Mic71

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hey all
I'm new hear and can't seem to find how I make a fresh post.
My question is
Does anybody know if it is possible to change the 8 inch discover media screen in a 6.1 sportline to the 9.2 inch discover media pro screen in the black edition??
Is it a straight swap or does the head end need changing to?
If someone can point me in the right direction that would be cool..
Thanks..

Hey all
My question is
Does anybody know if it is possible to change the 8 inch discover media screen in a 6.1 sportline to the 9.2 inch discover media pro screen in the black edition??
Thanks..
I dont think it’s possible. I've never seen it done yet in any case.

I dont think it’s possible. I've never seen it done yet in any case.
Thanks.
I'm hoping it hasnt been tried because there are not many 6.1 sportlines outthere yet.
I drove a standard sportline first and was happy with the set up of the 8 inch screen and on that occasion was already hooked to purchase one..
I then visited another dealer and drove a black edition.
The 9.2 inch screen makes a hugh difference in my opinion its so nice and gives a wide screen display aspect
The lack of rotary dials really makes the whole wrap around the driver dash seamless.
I hope someone technical in this area is brave enough to give it a go..

Hey all
My question is
Thanks..
@Absolut5

Thanks.
I'm hoping it hasnt been tried because there are not many 6.1 sportlines outthere yet.
I drove a standard sportline first and was happy with the set up of the 8 inch screen and on that occasion was already hooked to purchase one..
I then visited another dealer and drove a black edition.
The 9.2 inch screen makes a hugh difference in my opinion its so nice and gives a wide screen display aspect
The lack of rotary dials really makes the whole wrap around the driver dash seamless.
I hope someone technical in this area is brave enough to give it a go..
You also need to swap the main unit behind the glovebox, as the screen is not compatible with the 8" one.

Yeah, there's the 9.2 aswell. Widely used across the whole VAG range.

Been in the parts catalogues for years but don't think it was in the vans, just caravelles and californias, before the Black edition got it, like the digi dash i suspect.

You also need to swap the main unit behind the glovebox, as the screen is not compatible with the 8" one.
OK.
Do you have some experience with doing this or heard of someone that has?
Would be good to see if I can get part numbers of the kit required and find out what coding may need doing..

Hey all
My question is
Thanks..

I’m looking to have that done also when I have the digital dash installed.

I’ve tried various people who have all said the same thing, it can’t be done. Has something to do with the coding from VW.

Part number for the MiB3 head unit #5H0 035 820 D
Part number for the 9.2” touch screen # 5G6 919 606

I’ve been talking to Hazzy Days who are trying to get this upgrade to work. They’ve been trying for months.

If you manage to get this upgrade working, please let me know.

I think it makes a big difference to the whole look of the cab.
Good luck

Thanks for the info.
Like wise if you get anywhere with this please let me know..
Fingers crossed and good luck yourself...

Just a thought Richie.
Have you tried these guys?
I have had a email conversation with them and they haven't said it can't be done they where only concerned about the dash trim not fitting the bigger screen and wanted a vin number to check parts.
I am still waiting for my van so am just in the stage of finding info out on this so I'm ready.
Might be worth a conversation with them if you haven't already...

They said they had the 9.2 screen and head end .
£1200..
Just no dash trim and didn't know the part number.

They said they had the 9.2 screen and head end .
£1200..
Just no dash trim and didn't know the part number.

I’m still waiting for a build week, so at the same stage as you.

I know there is a gloss black surround that you can retrofit for about £80.00 and I was quoted £1,300.00 just for the screen brand new.

I’ve been online and found sites in Poland where you can buy unlocked and working versions of the above.

Not sure if I’ve spoken to VW retrofit.

I’m surprised it’s that difficult.

thats where the price difference probably is then as i was told that the screen and head end where not brand new but as new refurb units.
i have ordered a sportline that already has the digital cockpit and discover media 8 inch unit fitted.
just wanted to upgrade to the 9.2 media pro unit.
it sounds likr you are having a digital cockpit retro fitted
. what sreen/head unit will you have in yours when delivered?

thats where the price difference probably is then as i was told that the screen and head end where not brand new but as new refurb units.
i have ordered a sportline that already has the digital cockpit and discover media 8 inch unit fitted.
just wanted to upgrade to the 9.2 media pro unit.
it sounds likr you are having a digital cockpit retro fitted
. what sreen/head unit will you have in yours when delivered?

It’s the 8” discover media, it’s the only other head unit that the digital dash will work with as a retrofit.

Out of interest, when did you place your order?

Only about a month ago.
Real early stages for me.
Been told feb/March 2023.
Not sure I will be able to handle the wait as I've been thinking about it all the time since ordering.
Can't be doing that for another 10+ months

Not looking good for my estimated delivery date then..:(
Can I ask have you ordered from a big dealership ?
I have looked into this before ordering and vehicles are not built on a first come first served basis.
Dealerships are allocated so many of each model per month, you then have to factor in if they have any ongoing fleet customers as they will always make sure these customers have there vehicles first.
One large dealership I spoke to in Bristol said they wouldn't take an order for a sportline as it is a 2y +wait. And where trying to push a highline sale with me.
Another said I could order but I would have to wait and it would defiantly be over a year but within 18months.
The one i went with said he had looked on there system and there next allocated sportline build date was November so he would expect it to be in the country end of year/beginning of next and would then go to Wales to become a sportline adding another 5 to 6 weeks on top.
So airing on the side of caution he suggested probably March.
I went with them as they where best price and seemed to be equiped with information i wasnt getting elswhere.
I have got in and ordered a year early anyway as I saw there was a wait. The van I have now will be at selling stage if those dates are met.

Not looking good for my estimated delivery date then..:(
Can I ask have you ordered from a big dealership ?
I have looked into this before ordering and vehicles are not built on a first come first served basis.
Dealerships are allocated so many of each model per month, you then have to factor in if they have any ongoing fleet customers as they will always make sure these customers have there vehicles first.
One large dealership I spoke to in Bristol said they wouldn't take an order for a sportline as it is a 2y +wait. And where trying to push a highline sale with me.
Another said I could order but I would have to wait and it would defiantly be over a year but within 18months.
The one i went with said he had looked on there system and there next allocated sportline build date was November so he would expect it to be in the country end of year/beginning of next and would then go to Wales to become a sportline adding another 5 to 6 weeks on top.
So airing on the side of caution he suggested probably March.
I went with them as they where best price and seemed to be equiped with information i wasnt getting elswhere.
I have got in and ordered a year early anyway as I saw there was a wait. The van I have now will be at selling stage if those dates are met.

I ordered from “Happy New Van”.

Kombi T32 Highline 150 dsg
Standard paint
2+1 rear bench seat
Discover media 8” satnav
Led headlights front and rear
Rear view camera
Sliding windows in rear
Leatherette seat covers
Removable towbar
Power latching tailgate & side door

£31,590.00 + vat £6,252.12 the price includes RFL.

They have a large allocation, although when I asked they couldn’t give me a figure on how many.

They were by far the cheapest company to buy from at the time of order. Speaking to VW fleet van centre directly, they have told me that I have a great deal.

Not sure if you’re aware, but if you upgrade your screen (if it is ever possible) then you’ll lose your warranty on the electrical system of your vehicle.

Back