T6.1 Roof module

Ethan Andrews

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Just popped into my local VW parts. They have a 6.1 outside. Out of interest I asked them to look up the price of the roof module. I was expecting mega bucks. But actually only £59 + VAT.

The parts guy was typically not interested in me showing any interest in it. But the schematic shows one cable coming from with a purple connector on it. FAKRA type I think. So I presume it is just for internet connectivity.

I want one of these for my MiFi unit.

I was looking at one of a similar design made by RF Solutions. GPS, GSM, LTE & WIFI ANTENNA

But I figure the VW OEM one may be the option as it is profiled to the VW roof.

Just need to find out what adapter cables will be required to use with my Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 router now.

E7E005F3-92DB-45C2-8EDB-A4F5A7358699.jpeg

49E54CCF-27FC-484F-9DA3-64F7A5FDE312.jpeg

Like your thinking...

Not 100% on the look yet tho.....

I know they are so ugly. Ford do a discrete circular one. But who wants a Ford one!

Perhaps an improvement will become on the new T7. Although the T7 looks more like the VW Sharan from the rear. The 6.1 may be the last original Transporter looking van

That module might look better colour coded or even a shark fin type at the rear....but when I first saw it , it looked like a remote control box that you used to get on model cars.....I truly do get the need for it but VW could have been a bit more imaginative :rolleyes:

Do you still need one? Mine has just been removed to fit a pop top. PM me if interested

Hi there,

I do still need one. But I am also planning a pop top roof too.

I also want to go the FM/DAB sharkfin route.

But I haven’t been able to get a definitive answer from a route installer as to whether or not a module can be incorporated into a pop top.

I had looked at an SCA type or any with a wedge at the front, as to if one could go into there?

VW must have come up with an option for the 6.1 California. But no one can state any information.

So are you not concerned you will loose connectivity. Or have you come up with a different solution?

Kind regards

...I haven’t been able to get a definitive answer from a router installer as to whether or not a module can be incorporated into a pop top.
Even at the lowest frequency (800mhz) a quarter wave is only 4" so I'm sure an 8" diameter groundplane would be easy enough to hide under the poptop skin. Cabling is awkward if its a rear-hinged SCA, if so I'd mount it at the back of the poptop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there,

I do still need one. But I am also planning a pop top roof too.

I also want to go the FM/DAB sharkfin route.

But I haven’t been able to get a definitive answer from a route installer as to whether or not a module can be incorporated into a pop top.

I had looked at an SCA type or any with a wedge at the front, as to if one could go into there?

VW must have come up with an option for the 6.1 California. But no one can state any information.

So are you not concerned you will loose connectivity. Or have you come up with a different solution?

Kind regards
I had assumed you wanted the housing only. I planned to take out the antennae and fix it inside the roof space somewhere, so the housing will be spare. I have not yet looked to see if the antennae/housing can be separated.

Maybe I misunderstood you, I thought you wanted an OEM T6.1 'sharkfin' housing.

On the T6.1 Cali, the housing is fitted on top of the pop-top front pod, but I don't now if its the same shape exactly.

I had assumed you wanted the housing only. I planned to take out the antennae and fix it inside the roof space somewhere, so the housing will be spare. I have not yet looked to see if the antennae/housing can be separated.

On the T6.1 Cali, the housing is fitted on top of the pop-top front pod, but I don't now if its the same shape exactly.

That’s ok thanks for sharing what you plan to do.

It is so debatable with all of this stuff what rhe definitive answer is.

The schematic I saw shows as a sealed unit with one bolt holding it on. So I am guessing with use of a dremmel you could carefully open it up.

I think I will post phone buying one until I have the roof and go from there.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on dissecting it.

Best regards

About to get mine converted with a skyline pop top this has been niggling at me what happens to the aerial?

thanks in advance

About to get mine converted with a skyline pop top this has been niggling at me what happens to the aerial?

thanks in advance
Yes it was niggling me too, and still is.

The converter stuffed the antennae into the space above the overhead light switches. It just about fits in there, and still works as far as I can tell. There's only a small square hole in the roof panel and they fitted a round blind grommet in there with a bit of sealant.

I've since disassembled the antennae housing so that it takes slightly less space up, you need an extremely small torx bit to do this, and only the cover comes off, it's still quite bulky and hard to conceal.

Some day, someone may make a low profile version, and I'll put it back on the roof, under the pop-top, I hope.

Yes it was niggling me too, and still is.

The converter stuffed the antennae into the space above the overhead light switches. It just about fits in there, and still works as far as I can tell. There's only a small square hole in the roof panel and they fitted a round blind grommet in there with a bit of sealant.

I've since disassembled the antennae housing so that it takes slightly less space up, you need an extremely small torx bit to do this, and only the cover comes off, it's still quite bulky and hard to conceal.

Some day, someone may make a low profile version, and I'll put it back on the roof, under the pop-top, I hope.
cheers I will discuss with converter. i know from experience small torx and my sausage fingers won’t be a good mix

Back