T6.1 retrofit sat nav.

Jago13

Hi all,

I’ve got a t6.1 highline, looking to do the digital dash conversion but I’ve been told it’s not possible unless you have the satnav/stereo option (forget what they’ve called the head unit) as this has a module installed to the glovebox and the head unit is simply a screen?

I’m no expert but two companies are saying they can’t do the work without having that from factory..
so my question is, is it possible/how hard is it to retrofit the whole sat nav / head unit?

thanks.

That will be tricky, that system is still very new and im not aware of anyone that can/has moved them between vehicles beofre so your only option at this stage may be to buy a new unit from VW and i would guess that would cost a few grand

Ah ok, I thought it’d cost a lot but didn’t think it wouldn’t have been done before.

hazzydayz have said they’ll be offering it but aren’t sure when.
I guess I’ll have to wait!
Thanks anyways man

Ah ok, I thought it’d cost a lot but didn’t think it wouldn’t have been done before.

hazzydayz have said they’ll be offering it but aren’t sure when.
I guess I’ll have to wait!
Thanks anyways man
Did you find anyone who could do this? Just got very excited about the possibility of a virtual cockpit in ours but realised we don’t have the navigation on the van we’re having converted

I asked this question at my local VW dealer when my T6.1 was being serviced and they said it would cost over £3000 to get done so thought a £130 Sat Nav and Apple Carplay would be fine…!

@Dodders if you’re using carplay why not use sat nav on your phone?
We do plan to use this but O2 reception is very patchy and likely to lose signal. I think CarPlay and good old fashioned maps, road signs and common sense is what we'll go with...!! Thanks

You can download maps on google maps or pay for tomtom app then you won’t need phone reception

I've found Sygic to be a useful and less well known option, has a very neat feature of verbal warnings for tight curves which is invaluable when roadtripping on new roads at night.

Back