T6.1 head unit doesn’t have Sat-Nav

Justin@608

Can anyone shed some light on this for me...
I have just got a T6.1 highline...
It was first registered last December...
But what I can't understand is...
How come it doesn't have built-in sat nav, I thought that a van of this age would automatically have it...
Any help would be greatly appreciated T.I.A.

Reactions: CAB
Built in sat nav requires an upgraded headunit which is an optional extra when ordering but the standard headunit has carplay/android auto so you can plug your phone in and have google maps/apple maps/waze etc etc

I’ve only used my built in satnav once in nearly 4 years. Google maps via CarPlay is much better.
Unless of course you’re going abroad and don’t have data roaming.

As above, really can’t see the point in built in sat nav that is out of date within months.

Apart from one thing, which is not really a reason to have one - if you have a digital dash then you can display the built in satnav behind the steering wheel. With CarPlay/Android you can’t it always stays on the head unit.

Brilliant thanks everyone for your help and advice... looking like I'm better off with android auto app anyway... the only thing is that I possibly looking at one of those virtual dashboards at some point, but I've been told that it can only be installed if I have built in sat nav

Brilliant thanks everyone for your help and advice... looking like I'm better off with android auto app anyway... the only thing is that I possibly looking at one of those virtual dashboards at some point, but I've been told that it can only be installed if I have built in sat nav
If by virtual dashboards you mean the digital dashboards then it's not so much that you need the satnav - but that you need either the mid range or high end head unit with the processing power to support the digital dashboard and the presence of satnav is a quick indicator of that.

Correction, see @Pauly post below.

If you have the high end unit you can have the maps on both displays at once - which in the Caravelle we hired before we bought was actually very useful as it meant MrsR could search and set up the navigation on the head unit while I was driving looking at the digital dash. Sadly the one we ended up buying only had the midrange head unit but it's not the end of the world.

See also @PaulR83 post below.

And I agree with @t6blo the ability to have the map on the dash is excellent, even if your navigation is done with something else. Especially in what my family nick name the "Star Trek View" where the map takes up most of the space - it's really very useful when navigating new areas or trying to find a place to turn around.

I'm a fan of Sygic sat nav software as it has offline maps and some neat driver aids (like warning of tight bends) but Google is better for finding places by search if you don't have an address. You can have both running (so long as your phone is up to it) and I often do.

Last edited:
You can still have the digital dash without built in sat nav, i have installed one in my van with standard headunit
It functions exactly the same you just dont have the option of having maps in the cluster

If you have the high end unit you can have the maps on both displays at once - which in the Caravelle we hired before we bought was actually very useful as it meant MrsR could search and set up the navigation on the head unit while I was driving looking at the digital dash. Sadly the one we ended up buying only had the midrange head unit but it's not the end of the world.
You can get it coded to be on both. I have discover media and have it on both from my retrofit from Bognor.
Although always run Google maps on main screen.

You can get it coded to be on both. I have discover media and have it on both from my retrofit from Bognor.
Although always run Google maps on main screen.
That is interesting to know - though I'm not sure I like it enough to risk disrupting things as the retrofit dash threads seem to point to things being a little sensitive/fragile in that area.

You can still have the digital dash without built in sat nav, i have installed one in my van with standard headunit
It functions exactly the same you just dont have the option of having maps in the cluster
Again interesting, every day's a school day :thumbsup:
I wonder if what I'm remembering is that it wasn't available in that combination OE?

That is interesting to know - though I'm not sure I like it enough to risk disrupting things as the retrofit dash threads seem to point to things being a little sensitive/fragile in that area.

Again interesting, every day's a school day :thumbsup:
I wonder if what I'm remembering is that it wasn't available in that combination OE?
Haha, yes seen a few issues. It's likely just a simple tick box in vcds somewhere. But yes, if it ain't broke.....

Back