Head Unit, yes i know do a search....but.....

HoopDub

I fix stuff
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Having done a search all the "what head units are available that keep the oem functions like nav dab rear camera and park assist?" But the threads are all what id consider old, a couple of years is a long time in technological terms. So i thought asking again may throw up some different newer options.

Last August i made the mistake of buying an MIB2 unit 5C0035680G near £700 tokens. Then had to get it coded, more money. Now this week its started playing up. Screen not working intermittently at first. Then wouldn't turn on at all. Vcds says its internal control module memory fault. Search google and fine that this is common, almost to the point that a fully working unit is a rarety!! Wish id looked into it before buying one.
Anyway, sob story over. Whats available that works?

A thousand thanks

I have a Kenwood DNR 992 that retains OEM reverse camera and park pilot, OEM USB, sat nav on the MFD, MFSW. It has DAB and wireless car play. Alpine also do similar. Speak to our forum experts. @Absolut5 or @Dav-Tec

In order of popularity, that will do what you require-

Kenwood DMX8021dabs
Alpine Halo 905
Kenwood Dmx9720xds
Alpine halo 11
Kenwood Dnr992rvs
Kenwood dnx9190dabs
Alpine ilx705d
Pioneer AVH z9200dab

We can supply them to retain the features you have mentioned plus all the other parts for easy fitment

Having done a search all the "what head units are available that keep the oem functions like nav dab rear camera and park assist?" But the threads are all what id consider old, a couple of years is a long time in technological terms. So i thought asking again may throw up some different newer options.

Last August i made the mistake of buying an MIB2 unit 5C0035680G near £700 tokens. Then had to get it coded, more money. Now this week its started playing up. Screen not working intermittently at first. Then wouldn't turn on at all. Vcds says its internal control module memory fault. Search google and fine that this is common, almost to the point that a fully working unit is a rarety!! Wish id looked into it before buying one.
Anyway, sob story over. Whats available that works?

A thousand thanks
I may be interested in buying the old unit to salvage spares for repairs to others and refurbs.

100% go with the Alpine either halo 9 or ilx-f70d (same as halo 9 but no floating screen). Fit loads of both of these best units on the market bar none!

I may be interested in buying the old unit to salvage spares for repairs to others and refurbs.

100% go with the Alpine either halo 9 or ilx-f70d (same as halo 9 but no floating screen). Fit loads of both of these best units on the market bar none!
Hiya matey. The old unit started working as it should again today. For a few hours anyway then it shut off and ran through a few cycles of the welcome to vw logo. Then back to life again. Then off. So I've removed it now ready for a new one. Im not up on electronics but given it works fully when it does work shows that nothing has caught fire in there possibly flash the eeprom and winning ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Im not going for one of the massive external HU's too conspicuous and an easy target for sticky fingers.
Im leaning towards the kenwood dmx8021dabs over the alpine ilx705d due to its wireless android and adjustable screen. All comes down to the fitting kit costs.

Hiya matey. The old unit started working as it should again today. For a few hours anyway then it shut off and ran through a few cycles of the welcome to vw logo. Then back to life again. Then off. So I've removed it now ready for a new one. Im not up on electronics but given it works fully when it does work shows that nothing has caught fire in there possibly flash the eeprom and winning ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Im not going for one of the massive external HU's too conspicuous and an easy target for sticky fingers.
Im leaning towards the kenwood dmx8021dabs over the alpine ilx705d due to its wireless android and adjustable screen. All comes down to the fitting kit costs.
Sound like the Power IC on the main board is faulty tbh but with out running diagnostics and sticking an oscilloscope on the main PCB it's hard to say

Back