T6.1 Caravelle seat upgrade issues

3crispies

Classic Vws
T6 Guru
Upgraded to caravelle seats and struggling with seat belt connection warning system on our T6.1, I believe this may affect deployment of passenger dash mounted airbag. Originally had 2 connections on passenger and one on driver (occupancy and belts). New seats have airbag, heat pads on them but cant see no seat belt switch. Is this N/o or N/c or not that simple.

Pic

20221016_144333.jpg

Doing the same thing now and come across the same thing. The t6 and the T6.1 are different electrical platforms , so some things and systems are different.
I got round this ( so far buy retro fitting with an extender the origial T6.1 Seat bet buckles to re instate the air bag trigger connections on T6.1 , thus back to how it was. Looking at it again , but could not find any pictures , the T6.1 Caravelle full electric seat buckles should fit but not bought them yet as managed to do a get around (above) . The T6 uses a ground switch , the T6.1 does not. Still to work out the heated bits but this will be soon , may use a stand alone fuse system to isolate the seats from the van , work in progress.

Yours are non electric but would think the principle is the same. Oh and dont mess with the yellow connector as its the side airbag wire

Doing the same thing now and come across the same thing. The t6 and the T6.1 are different electrical platforms , so some things and systems are different.
I got round this ( so far buy retro fitting with an extender the origial T6.1 Seat bet buckles to re instate the air bag trigger connections on T6.1 , thus back to how it was. Looking at it again , but could not find any pictures , the T6.1 Caravelle full electric seat buckles should fit but not bought them yet as managed to do a get around (above) . The T6 uses a ground switch , the T6.1 does not. Still to work out the heated bits but this will be soon , may use a stand alone fuse system to isolate the seats from the van , work in progress.

Yours are non electric but would think the principle is the same. Oh and dont mess with the yellow connector as its the side airbag wire
which buckles did you get ?

Used the ones off my standard seats as this was the work in progress bit , like I mentioned the T6.1 caravelle ones should fit but as im selling the other seats I have had to replace them , will be digging further tho as the electric caravelle seats have a wire rope / flexible buckle , the standard seats are solid . The one thing that is different is that the T6 seats seem not to have passenger sensor in them unlike the T6.1 so that wire is connected but does not seem to have an effect on the system/ warning lights. The sensor is , as far as I gather an extra for the non belt fastening warning light , the T6 does not use one . But again still in the process of the refit.

T6.1 has different buckles depending on van spec (ACC etc) so ensure you’re using the correct part number.

Thanks , using the same ones that were on the 22 plate , retro fitted to suit the 18 plates seats via the original loom so the only thing not connected will be the sensor for the passenger , but the trigger is connected both driver and passenger. The t6 and the T6.1 run different platforms so the adaption will work without upsetting the system.
Next is to work the heated seat wires , and also the lumber on the drivers side ( was the passenger as LHD seats) as the drivers works LHD but the passenger ( now driver side) seems not to work , looks like a linked system , so may need to patch wire these , may be best to do a stand alone circuit rather than direct/ adaption.

Last edited:
T6.1 has different buckles depending on van spec (ACC etc) so ensure you’re using the correct part number.
Had price from dealer for same new like for like not cheap. Looks like original ones were 2 wire where as caravelle ones are 3 wire. Why are plugs different one original driver to passenger.(pic 1 and pic 4) other plug under passenger fitted. Are buckles easy swap?

20230210_124920.jpg

20230210_124935.jpg

20230210_125058.jpg

20230210_125953.jpg

20230210_125956.jpg

20230210_130236.jpg

Back