T6.1 And Eibach Springs (beware)

30 to 40 mm drops wont affect steering geometry at all , The suspension moves further than that when going over bumps /,
Its been proved by thousands of camper conversion owners that the drop in the rear ( normally about 25 to 30 mm ) causes the steering to go light because the rake angle which is 40 mm on a standard Van ( 50 mm on a T 32 ) is 10 to 15 mm after the conversion ,. , Its also a fact that when we put a camper on to the corner weight scales the increase in weight is all on the back axle this explains why the front wheel arch gap stays standard .
If Cali owners want to drive a van with compromised steering feel so that the floor is level when parked up , I guess they can . I have had many conversations with Cali owners who are convinced VW meant it to be like that , Whilst all the after marker suspension Gurus will argue this point it is at the end of the day personal choice .
VW messed up the Rear anti roll bar and it seems the rear springs as well and I think Calis are the worse handling vans made simply because they fit the wrong anti roll bar and rear spring to it .
If VW have now fitted a higher rear spring its a clear indication there is a problem

As Oli mentioned a KW height adjust kit is ideal and if you add a set of H and R Anti Roll Bars in to the mix you'll spend £300.00 less than a B14 Komfort kit and have a much better result all round .
A member on the California Club forum has recently posted that the factory fits Californias with the same rear springs as the factory 30mm lowering springs available on the Multivan/ UK Caravelle, in order to keep the floor and bed level and the van under 2 meters. Have you ever heard of this?

Photo of the markings on my rear springs - MY2020 199 california Ocean
View attachment 120152
According to this spread sheet those are springs specific to the Ocean, no idea if they're the same as lowered factory springs for the Multivan/ UK Caravelle.

I think thats a story ( jackanory ) the lowering of the rear makes the steering less positive , If VW were concerned about getting under gantries they would lower the entire van and keep the rake angle correct and steering feel right !!! Thats my 2 pennies worth
If they new what they were doing at the factory they would also put the T 32 rear anti roll bars on the Californias as standard

Back