T6.1 150 dsg steam from engine

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a Similar thing with their vans or if I’m just being paranoid.

I and others have noticed that regularly when the van has stopped and parked up after reaching full temperature quite a lot of steam comes from the front of the vehicle.

There are no other obvious signs of anything wrong and it has 15,000 on the clock from new with me.

This is when it is “see your breath” days also to that might explain it.

It’s probably nothing but thought I’d ask to see if any others have had this.

Lets start on the assumption that theres no outside interference here and things are vehicle based, if what you are seeing is steam then some form of liquid is being heated beyond its boiling point

What liquids are there in the van that it could possibly be

Coolant
Oil
Screenwash
Brake fluid
Power steering fluid

If its coming from the vehicle then it has to be one of these, coolant and brake fluid are easily checked as they are visible header tanks up high (mark with a pencil maybe ?)
The other are a little bit trickier, probably be worth dropping the underneath engine tray (if you have one) and have a look for any leaks or wet patches

I’ve just been out and checked the vitals

Everything seemed fitted correctly with no loose caps.

When I took the oil filler cap off I noticed quite a bit of mayonnaise that I’m not sure is normal or not in a modern diesel?

IMG_1747.jpegIMG_1748.jpeg

IMG_1746.jpeg

Have you opened the bonnet when the van is doing this, and tried to locate where the steam is coming from ?

Pete

Yes the van is in warranty it isn’t even a year yet, also I extended the warranty to 5 years as I felt it would probably end up being trouble.

It was serviced by Vw lookers Teesside in January and nothing was mentioned.

No I have never popped the bonnet and looked as it seemed to always done it so it be normal.

I guess its not!

The Sh1t in the filler cap is not right for a newish engine.
I’m no mechanic but I didn’t think so either

I do plenty of miles in this thing for work and anywhere I travel from home it always gets fully up to temperature as I live in the middle of nowhere.

Decent mileage journeys also so what I understood as a common cause for mayo under the cap may not apply here?

With many short journeys over the winter you’ll end up with lots of mayo there. Nothing to worry about.

Unfortunately that mayo gunk in the filler is normal, its caused by low running temps and worse in winter when ambients are lower, its better in summer and when doing longer runs as the engine temps get higher and travel further up the filler spout

As mentioned before if it was me i would just spend and hour and give it a good check over, if needs be drop the lower engine cover and have a snoop around, get familiar with your vehicle and see if you can see anything going on

No I haven’t read it

Maybe I’m being a bit naive here but I kind of assumed that a brand new vehicle would (should) be fine with little to no maintenance worries for at least the first few years.

My service intervals are set to 10k miles between each which the dealership advised me they could change that to 20k if I wanted.

After running (and still using a 225k mile 07 320d e91) a few a few high mileage vehicles with no real issues other than the expected general maintenance items I would be very disappointed if this van needed that much inspection from the end user (not a mechanic) further than what the dashboard and user interface on a regular basis at this stage in its life to ensure that everything is ok is worrying to me.

I’m probably totally wrong here and should be checking levels every week etc but as already said in my opinion a brand new vehicle should not need that much attention from the end user at this stage.

So glad I extended the warranty now this thing is a piece of junk!

Not at all, but if you are concerned enough to post here about then its got to be worth a small amount of time to at least see where its coming from or if you have any obvious leaks

Back