T30 Manual v T32 DSG

I'm about to take delivery of my new 204 dsg and I was a little concerned about the 'sluggish' feel because I haven't actually driven one yet. All my cars are auto, but they are big diesel BMWs, and a quick Cooper SD auto, so they don't have any sluggish issues. However, my mother in-laws new golf is dsg and I always felt like it was a little 'sluggish' off the mark. I think it's the lower bhp, and a bluemotion diesel model, so hoping this is why it feels very half hearted when you plant your foot to the floor (even in sport mode)
It's that delay from foot planed to car moving that I hate, but other than that the gearbox feels far more advanced than any of the cars I own, or have owned.
I'm hoping the new van will be foot planed and wooooooaw nelly and not me shouting "COME ON" which I inevitably do when driving the in-laws golf.

I'm about to take delivery of my new 204 dsg and I was a little concerned about the 'sluggish' feel because I haven't actually driven one yet. All my cars are auto, but they are big diesel BMWs, and a quick Cooper SD auto, so they don't have any sluggish issues. However, my mother in-laws new golf is dsg and I always felt like it was a little 'sluggish' off the mark. I think it's the lower bhp, and a bluemotion diesel model, so hoping this is why it feels very half hearted when you plant your foot to the floor (even in sport mode)
It's that delay from foot planed to car moving that I hate, but other than that the gearbox feels far more advanced than any of the cars I own, or have owned.
I'm hoping the new van will be foot planed and wooooooaw nelly and not me shouting "COME ON" which I inevitably do when driving the in-laws golf.
Mines a 204 DSG and I've owned many fast cars ( Current car BMW 330 sport convertable) I find mine very quick off the mark and a real pleasure to drive. The look on boy racers faces when you leave them behind, in a van, is priceless. This is a beast for a van and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
I think you will be impressed but never lose sight of the fact its s van ha

As a mobile business that does around 50k a year, the vehicle I use 95% of my driving is a van. I love driving vans and feel far safer and far more at home sat in one. If I won the lottery tomorrow, along with the array of obvious luxury cars, I would probably have a van as my daily driver.

Some of the wealthiest people I know use a van as their daily drivers.
Ok mainly because they daren't use their main cars due to fear of them being damaged, but life is more simple in a van.. Get in, belt up and MOVE OUT MY WAY... please

Id get a BMW twin turbo 6 Cylinder diesel engine remapped to about 380bhp plonked under the hood.

Just sold my 2016 BMW 335d Tourer, and I can say hand on heart it was a beast of a car, and a lot of fun when you wanted to play around. I only sold it because it just sat in my garage and did about 1000 miles a year!
Why? I hear you ask didn't you use it more... because I have a van and preferred using that.... well, I say preferred, but what I mean is I was so paranoid that it would get a carpark dent, or the wheels would get damaged, or it would get dirty, that I thought it would be better sat in my garage deprecating faster than the pound after brexit, just to be sold back to my BMW dealer for a price that made my eyes water! I never learn though..

Just sold my 2016 BMW 335d Tourer, and I can say hand on heart it was a beast of a car, and a lot of fun when you wanted to play around. I only sold it because it just sat in my garage and did about 1000 miles a year!
Why? I hear you ask didn't you use it more... because I have a van and preferred using that.... well, I say preferred, but what I mean is I was so paranoid that it would get a carpark dent, or the wheels would get damaged, or it would get dirty, that I thought it would be better sat in my garage deprecating faster than the pound after brexit, just to be sold back to my BMW dealer for a price that made my eyes water! I never learn though..

The neglect of that BMW makes me sad lol

But just imagine that engine in a T6 lol

I had one of the first gen dsg boxes when the Mk5 GTI came out and it was f'in terrifying! You would pull out at a roundabout with nothing coming and what seemed like seconds later you hadn't moved and a car was bearing down on you. They vastly improved in later VAG cars I owned and there's no trace of that in my T6. I wouldn't go back to a slush box torque converter box again, they feel like slow motion after a dsg

As a mobile business that does around 50k a year, the vehicle I use 95% of my driving is a van. I love driving vans and feel far safer and far more at home sat in one. If I won the lottery tomorrow, along with the array of obvious luxury cars, I would probably have a van as my daily driver.
I bought my Van as my daily user. I travel the country for my work (approx 50K miles a year) but transport nothing more than me and my laptop. After years of driving big flash cars I feel far more relaxed in my Van. Love the high driving position and with the 204 don't feel i'm missing out on power or speed. Only thing I would say is that it doesn't handle well on roundabouts like a car but then its a van.
I also enjoy the VW scene and basic camping with the wife on a blow up mattress in the back of the van is great fun. So if I won the lottery, the van would still remain my go to daily vehicle but I would have a DB10 for the weekends.:thumbsup:

I bought my Van as my daily user. I travel the country for my work (approx 50K miles a year) but transport nothing more than me and my laptop. After years of driving big flash cars I feel far more relaxed in my Van. Love the high driving position and with the 204 don't feel i'm missing out on power or speed. Only thing I would say is that it doesn't handle well on roundabouts like a car but then its a van.
I also enjoy the VW scene and basic camping with the wife on a blow up mattress in the back of the van is great fun. So if I won the lottery, the van would still remain my go to daily vehicle but I would have a DB10 for the weekends.:thumbsup:

Great minds and all that, though i'm not sure about using mine for camping when I have this as my mobile holiday maker..

Pilote.jpg

Back