T30 Manual v T32 DSG

PukkaT6

Pukka Insurance
T6 Legend
So today I finally got round to taking my van in for all the issues it was delivered with.

They gave me a 150 Manual panel van

Quite liked the idea of seeing if the comments about DSG being sluggish were true. I pulled out the car park and managed to spin the wheels and about a second later had to change gear, 3 seconds after that it felt like it was time for another gear change. After a total of 3 sets of traffic lights I realised that a manual box in a van is just too much like hard work. I could not eat my monster munch as no way I could move more than 5 feet without needing to use my left hand. The DSG is so much smoother and quite frankly its much better on mpg in rush hour traffic, forget your LED headlights its simply the number 1 must have option.

One thing that has made me doubt my own choice is the t30 suspension set up, its so much more forgiving, im not dodging bumps and potholes. In comparison the T32 is harsh.

2881D9E9-EA23-4D2B-B623-842F4A2F43C8.jpeg

Van gears are set for carrying heavy loads so they are shorter than a car. I think many people expect the transporters to drive just like a car. They are certainly good and the comfiest out there but it's still based on a van aimed at hauling work stuff.

I spent the second half of 2016 looking for my perfect VW T5.1. I found my perfect van a T5.1 140 6 speed MANUAL. After owning numerous Audi S tronics in the past, DSG was the preferred option but out of budget for a low miler. I had the van for about 6 weeks before my fears came true. The gearbox is so commercial and your constant up and down the lower end of the box. Massive chore. So I bit the bullet and sold the wifes Audi Q5 and bought a T6 DSG T30 Highline Kombi. Best vehicle I have ever bought especially after letting the tyres down to 42 rear and 47 up front! If anybody is contemplating spending at least 25-30k on a vehicle I wouldnt even contemplate a manual pudding stick

I can't fault my dsg box it doesn't feel sluggish at all, in fact it's way in front of my Range Rover sport! Which isn't hard I know, but I wouldn't change for the world I love auto!:)

Most auto's I've driven including recent merc amg's have been woeful.

I'd never have any other auto other than a dsg

I will be honest the manual grew on me over the 3 days. However as soon as I got back in my DSG it was a totally different experience, more relaxing and in turn much more rewarding to drive.

I do think the T30 suspension did just make the ride that bit softer which I think would then suit it being lowered better than a T32 imho.

One thing I did notice is the steering is really light on standard wheels and whilst with sportlines its not heavy it does give it more feel.

As for MPG I was returning 41mpg in manual against 47 in DSG.

Last edited:
I have a T32 DSG and a manual Transit Custom. The Custom is a great drive, nice and easy clutch and a pleasure to drive. The T32 is in a different league though, the DSG is more relaxing to drive especially in traffic.

One thing i would note though, the T6 is delivering 19-27 MPG (204 engine). Not sure if it's because of the gearbox type but still a bit disappointing. Maybe it'll get better with more millage, I'm at ≤500 miles.

One thing i would note though, the T6 is delivering 19-27 MPG (204 engine). Not sure if it's because of the gearbox type but still a bit disappointing. Maybe it'll get better with more millage, I'm at ≤500 miles.

I have the 204 DSG and getting average of 38MPG. I do a fair bit of motorway but yours certainly should improve.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand why anyone buys T32's, they are rock hard and a nightmare for wheels/suspension....
I also found the dsg box clunky and frustrating

The main reason I bought the 32 was the fact I can reclaim my VAT and as such so can the next guy when i sell it, meaning it also holds it's value better

Last edited:
When I've got a 1T of materials in the back plus a few boxes of tools I'm pretty glad to be driving a T32. No brainer really...

Back