DSG Downshift

Steve1958

Hi All - I have a 2015 T6 T32 DSG with 31,000 miles on clock..Great to drive BUT going downhill the DSG finds 3rd gear too soon sending the revs high. then just as annoyingly is in 4/5 th gear going up the other side then having to find 3rd again. This is made more frustrating as we also have a 2014 Ford Galaxy (126,000 miles) with Auto POWERSHIFT box that is ALWAYS in the right gear whatever the terrain as if driving a manual.. The DSG is an expensive extra on list price and is much raved about.. Making me think I have an issue… Yes I have tried the ‘coasting’ feature and yes I can change to manual mode which somewhat defeats having an Auto.. Am I alone in experiencing this?….

Hi All - I have a 2015 T6 T32 DSG with 31,000 miles on clock..Great to drive BUT going downhill the DSG finds 3rd gear too soon sending the revs high. then just as annoyingly is in 4/5 th gear going up the other side then having to find 3rd again. This is made more frustrating as we also have a 2014 Ford Galaxy (126,000 miles) with Auto POWERSHIFT box that is ALWAYS in the right gear whatever the terrain as if driving a manual.. The DSG is an expensive extra on list price and is much raved about.. Making me think I have an issue… Yes I have tried the ‘coasting’ feature and yes I can change to manual mode which somewhat defeats having an Auto.. Am I alone in experiencing this?….
If you brake going down hill, the box will shift down, the harder you brake, the lower it will shift.

It's supposed to do that.

Tap the accelerator and it will often change up a gear, but you'll loose the engine braking effect. If it's a particularly hilly/twisty road, Sport made is often better as it holds the gears a little longer

It's supposed to do that.

Tap the accelerator and it will often change up a gear, but you'll loose the engine braking effect. If it's a particularly hilly/twisty road, Sport made is often better as it holds the gears a little longer
Only if you have sport mode :(

Anyone else having this annoying issue…. Took my Caravelle in for its first service and the dealer said it needed the Bowden cables changing and there is a sat nav update.
Ok so took it in and picked it up the next day only having driven about 50 miles the oil light came on but that’s another story, and not the issue.

I drove it to Forest of Dean around 200 mile round trip at the weekend and noticed that when I touched the brakes on any downhills it automatically dropped down one or two gears without my intervention although I hadn’t noticed this when I picked it up from the dealer. Ok so great for brake wear but it sometimes catches you out and gives you more braking than is required slowing you down quicker than you necessarily want.

Is this something to do with the software update of the sat nav introducing a topgraphy element stealthily or some other sinister element VW have introduced either way I don’t like it and want it removing and it’s only started to do this since the dealer visit. Apart from this perfection!! tia
204 DSG 21 plate 5000miles T6.1

That’s normal DSG behaviour if you have the “coasting” function enabled. It will coast down hill in neutral until you touch the brakes & then it will go into gear. The more you brake it will drop down the gears. I think it’s pretty clever tbh.

My 6.1 does the same and doesn’t have coasting. I agree with @Salty Spuds its a good thing as you should drop down the gears down hill to help the brakes especially in a heavy vehicle. (Maybe I’m just old school but that’s how I was taught- my dad was a truck driver)

The VAG DSG gearbox has been around ( in this guise ) for quite a few years now , and they all do this. I'm very surprised just how many people think it's a fault, it's not, it's very annoying, but it's just what they do.

The VAG DSG gearbox has been around ( in this guise ) for quite a few years now , and they all do this. I'm very surprised just how many people think it's a fault, it's not, it's very annoying, but it's just what they do.
Just out of curiosity, why do you find it annoying? Genuine question & not trying to start an argument. On mine, if I touch the accelerator, the DSG will go back into coasting mode. I can control the gears using the brake & accelerator pedal. It’s almost like having flappy paddles.

Thanks for all the replies, and it was just not there before I took it for the service. I hadn’t played with the coasting before or certainly afterwards. I share your thoughts as a great feature but brakes are replaceable at a minimal cost in comparison to additional wear on the driveline. Also for 70% of the UK it’s not needed anyway. If I have to turn the coasting off if I can that’s what I will do if that’s the only to avoid the downshifts as it’s too sensitive. I never thought it was a fault and driving VW Group cars they don’t do it - ok slightly different circumstance I know. Thanks again and nice to know the forum is a place to turn to, when needed. Hope to see you around this golden isle this summer

Just out of curiosity, why do you find it annoying? Genuine question & not trying to start an argument. On mine, if I touch the accelerator, the DSG will go back into coasting mode. I can control the gears using the brake & accelerator pedal. It’s almost like having flappy paddles.
It's just not a feature I like, and my T6.1 doesn't have the coasting option as my T6 did ( there's progression for you! ). I'm not driving a 10 tonne truck, and as pointed out elsewhere on here, brake pads are much cheaper to replace than a worn out engine.

Back