Koni active shocks rebound adjustment

JamesDon

Hi All
I recently had the Koni Special Active shocks (Red) fitted at CRS. Really happy with the product and the service received from Steve and his son James.
I understand that they have adjustable rebound rate on the front and I wondered if anybody has experimented with this?
Out of the box they are set to the softest setting which will obviously be most forgiving.
As good as the set up is at handling pot holes, speed bumps, etc. I've noticed that the ride quality gets pretty bad when going over broken or rough tarmac, almost like the tyres have way too much pressure in. This isn't the case and it also isn't down to the tyres.

Can anybody suggest a sweet spot that they might have found after adjusting the rebound?

Thanks
James

I have the same shocks, I don’t think there’s a cure for poor road surfaces, I think that’s just a characteristic of a commercial vehicle and shitty UK roads.
I'd usually agree fully with that but the strange thing is that I didn't have that problem with the very poor Chinese coilovers that I took off. They were awful at all other tines but didn't feel fidgety going over poor/rough tarmac. I'm hoping that I can adjust the rebound slightly and it might change this but potentially at the expense of something else!

I may be completely wrong To mitigate high freq on rough roads, don't you need to have your springs slightly precompressed / or it's your spring rather than mper that is affecting this ?

I may be completely wrong To mitigate high freq on rough roads, don't you need to have your springs slightly precompressed / or it's your spring rather than mper that is affecting this ?
This is what I'm wondering.
And does "slightly" mean 2 turns of the dial 10? Hopefully somebody has played with their settings and found a happy medium.
I've read a couple of other articles on various forums that describe the same problem so hopefully there is a solution to really make them the perfect suspension setup.

Hi All
I recently had the Koni Special Active shocks (Red) fitted at CRS. Really happy with the product and the service received from Steve and his son James.
I understand that they have adjustable rebound rate on the front and I wondered if anybody has experimented with this?
Out of the box they are set to the softest setting which will obviously be most forgiving.
As good as the set up is at handling pot holes, speed bumps, etc. I've noticed that the ride quality gets pretty bad when going over broken or rough tarmac, almost like the tyres have way too much pressure in. This isn't the case and it also isn't down to the tyres.

Can anybody suggest a sweet spot that they might have found after adjusting the rebound?

Thanks
James
James have you spoken to me about this ?? If not why not, Asking a forum of Transporter enthusiasts over the companies that supply the parts seems odd ?! ha ha i am confused however because KONI special active shocks are NOT adjustable ??? The sport ones are and the sport shorts are top adjustable , what have you actually got fitted to your van ?? . The KONI shocks are brilliant adjustable or not but they actually cant tell the difference between certain bumps and others , they will always react the same ,
Maybe lets start with how low the vehicle is . It may be that the car is hitting the bump stops on certain poor surfaces and what you are feeling is the rebound off the bump stop not the shock ??

Give us more clues and we can help , we dont experiment with the rebound settings we use it when necessary and we do it often , but only if there is a reason .

James have you spoken to me about this ?? If not why not, Asking a forum of Transporter enthusiasts over the companies that supply the parts seems odd ?! ha ha i am confused however because KONI special active shocks are NOT adjustable ??? The sport ones are and the sport shorts are top adjustable , what have you actually got fitted to your van ?? . The KONI shocks are brilliant adjustable or not but they actually cant tell the difference between certain bumps and others , they will always react the same ,
Maybe lets start with how low the vehicle is . It may be that the car is hitting the bump stops on certain poor surfaces and what you are feeling is the rebound off the bump stop not the shock ??

Give us more clues and we can help , we dont experiment with the rebound settings we use it when necessary and we do it often , but only if there is a reason .

Thank you for your reply Steve.
The issue is with small undulations/bumps (e.g. cats eyes and bad tarmac). The shocks/springs deal with the big bumps very well.

Last edited:
After speaking with Steve @CRS Performance, it turns out that I was mistaken. I have the Sport Short Shocks and not the Special Active Shocks.

I'm just going to experiment with the rebound settings over the weekend. As mentioned, the ride is generally so much better than my previous set up, I just wanted to try and get some feedback from other users as I know a lot of people have gone down this route.

Cheers
James

I may be completely wrong To mitigate high freq on rough roads, don't you need to have your springs slightly precompressed / or it's your spring rather than mper that is
What some customers do is go 2 full turns harder and set to an extreme so you can then test and appreciate what is happening to the settings and what affect it has on the ride . then come back from this in 1/2 turn increments i have mine on 3/4 of a turn from soft .

I’ve got the Sport short shocks too, interested to see what you think after adjusting them.

Back