Stuck, between the dashboard gap and the windscreen!

Benbecul97

Irish member
I have the Rubber Dash Gap Windscreen Trim Seal bought and ready to fit. But before i do I need to fish out one last item!

You see a plastic trim tool fell into the gap between the end of the dashboard and the bottom of the windscreen.
I've been trying to fish it out with 2 more angled trim tools with sticky duct tape on the end of each angled trim tool.
Putting in an angled trim tool on each side of the trapped trim tool, I'm trying to sandwich / grab / stick the sticky duct tape to each end to the trapped trim tool.
No joy so far, any suggestions?

This method has worked on two pens that also fell into this abyss, but they were easier grab as they were rounded and had more surface area to stick to.
The trim tool has very little surface area to stick to. Unfortunately its a plastic trim tool so a magnet is not an option.

If you know someone into fishing they may be able to lend you some unhooking forceps that might work to grab the trim tool?

Been there, done that and found a solution! Following is quite an amusing read - endoscope with hook was the solution! Though you may struggle to hook on a trim tool...

I’ve picked up things with a length of steel wire and gaffa tape wound on sticky side out. You dont see many wire coat hangers around these days!

Also, a length of plastic tube taped (sealed) onto the vacuum nozzle might give enough suction to grab and lift it out.

Thank you all for the replies and suggestions!
Good news! I fished out the plastic trim tool fell into the gap between the end of the dashboard and the bottom of the windscreen!

And what did it - why a BBQ cooking set of course!:laugh:
I took one BBQ metal skewer and bent the top 2 inches to an angle of about 25 degrees.
This allowed me to get in behind, underneath and to lift up the the plastic trim tool.
I then used the BBQ metal tongs from the same set to grab the piece sticking up and to pull it free.:thumbsup:

The Rubber Dash Gap Windscreen Trim Seal is being installed tomorrow!

Back