Sterling Power BBS1230 - Low voltage charging from solar

Humbug

Hi All

Wondering if anyone has any experience with the Sterling Power BBS1230 which is 30A DC-DC charger with separate solar input.

Its coupled with 2x 95ah AGM leisure batteries in parrallel.
Charger is set in AGM2 mode so default charging is 14.6v.
Monitoring is via a Renogy 500a battery monitor with a shunt on the negative.
Today I've added a 160w Renogy solar panel wired into the BBS1230.

All is working fine when charging with the engine running, a healthy 20amp or roughly 240w flowing into the battery dropping as it approaches full charge.

The issue I'm having (or think I'm having) is that when the unit starts charging from solar it indicates a panel voltage as 22v yet the output voltage to the battery is the same as the batteries voltage, which was 12.5v. Looking at the Renogy monitor it was cycling up to 6w and down to 0w of power flowing into the battery, sometimes even dipping negative.

I would have thought the unit would take the 22v, do its magic and provide the 14.6v needed to supply the AGM's, just like it does on DC-DC charging.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Usually you should have the battery disconnected from the solar regulator before you connect the solar, maybe this is why it isn't doing anything if you didn't disconnect.

Usually you should have the battery disconnected from the solar regulator before you connect the solar, maybe this is why it isn't doing anything if you didn't disconnect.
Thanks, I'll have a re-read of the manual. I did do a factory reset on the charger but maybe that's not enough. Thanks for your input, I'll see how it goes in the sun today and maybe follow that sequence tonight ready for the morning.

Problem solved... well sort of.

Ordered a Victron Blue Solar MPPT 75/15 on Prime.

I covered the panel and switched to the Victron from the Sterling, jumped from a pulsing charge of 0w to 18w on the Sterling to an immediate and constant 105w from the Victron. I can only assume its faulty so will contract their support, get it replaced and sell it and follow the Victron route.

.... so will contract their support, get it replaced and sell it and follow the Victron route.
Good luck contacting Sterling support, if you get the head man, the Irish guy, he’s obnoxious. The other lads are fine. Good decision going Victron, I’ve just done the same, got an Orion sat waiting to be fitted.

Hi All

Wondering if anyone has any experience with the Sterling Power BBS1230 which is 30A DC-DC charger with separate solar input.

Its coupled with 2x 95ah AGM leisure batteries in parrallel.
Charger is set in AGM2 mode so default charging is 14.6v.
Monitoring is via a Renogy 500a battery monitor with a shunt on the negative.
Today I've added a 160w Renogy solar panel wired into the BBS1230.

All is working fine when charging with the engine running, a healthy 20amp or roughly 240w flowing into the battery dropping as it approaches full charge.

The issue I'm having (or think I'm having) is that when the unit starts charging from solar it indicates a panel voltage as 22v yet the output voltage to the battery is the same as the batteries voltage, which was 12.5v. Looking at the Renogy monitor it was cycling up to 6w and down to 0w of power flowing into the battery, sometimes even dipping negative.

I would have thought the unit would take the 22v, do its magic and provide the 14.6v needed to supply the AGM's, just like it does on DC-DC charging.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

I noticed my BBS1230 only charged at a 0.5A-0.7A rate. I contacted Sterling support and after 10 days of not hearing a beep, they contacted me back and replaced the unit. They told me their design was faulty (they were "switching too fast") and offered next day replacement.
Meanwhile, I grew weary I compared with a Victron BlueSolar MPPT 75/15.
Even the replaced Sterling BBS1230 delivers only 60% of the current to the battery that my Victron MPPT delivers (tested in a non-lab setting, connecting the solar panel first to the Sterling and then switched to the Victron. However, the Victron's charge was consistently as much as twice of what the Sterling delivered.
(I reset the STerling unit and set to the correct battery type to avoid having accidentally swicthed to their "half power" mode.
Ben of Sterling UK does not have to offer any help beyong stating that his superior thinks their unit is perfectly ok - so pretty much clueless.
I have two 100W LenSunSolar panels and the Victron charged my battery with 7A, while the Sterling delivered 3A (obviously same light condition, measured within 20 sec).
Your mileage may vary. I was lucky to have a Victron lying around to compare.
Will try to produce a video and post on youtube with a more stable test setup than my truck-bed.

P.S.: of coruse, the MPPT 75/15 is no battery-to-battery charger, so it would only replace the BBS1230 for Solar charging. But keep in mind that Victron sells a B2B charger for £150, while the MPPT 75/15 is about £80, so both combined are same price range as the Sterling, possibly even cheaper)

Last edited:
Hi Folks,
The day after I uploaded my BBS1230 "not working well" video to YouTube , Sterling Power contacted me to offer me a next day replacement - stating that the Version 1 of the board was not optimised for less than 200 watt solar panels - they'd send me a V2 unit on next day swap out. The new unit is definitely working with my single 100 watt solar panel and is keeping the battery charged sufficiently - even when overcast.

I have yet to stick an amp meter on it so couldn't comment on the 3A stated in the previous post.

I do like the BBS1230 as it's a combined unit - great for space and IMHO should lead to better battery management as only one device is trying to charge the battery at one time.

I liked Sterling Power's product as they are a UK based company and it's good to buy local, however I find there lack of testing disappointing and I'm going to struggle to recommend them to my friends and other campers at this time.

Back