Steel wheel to save my spare alloy.

Wafu

T6 Pro
Hi, I’ve always had just a plain steel wheel as my spare, but with my new T6 Caravelle I have the same 19” alloy as the road wheels. I don’t want it rotting away underneath the van so how easy is it to pick up a 19” steel as my spare. Flee bay seems to only have 16“ and 17” steels.

Or, does anyone have an alternative suggestion?

Hi, I’ve always had just a plain steel wheel as my spare, but with my new T6 Caravelle I have the same 19” alloy as the road wheels. I don’t want it rotting away underneath the van so how easy is it to pick up a 19” steel as my spare. Flee bay seems to only have 16“ and 17” steels.

Normally i'd say finding a 19" steel wheel is impossible, but I just sold one, albeit a banded 19" spare wheel.

What I will say is there isn't actually a normal none banded steel wheel in 19" available in 5x120 for a Transporter, so what you will have to do is look at the the rolling radius of your current 19" alloys and buy a 17" steel with a tyre that matches, or as close as possible.
I had 19s running 255/45/19 tyres and had a spare that was a standard 17" steel with a 225/65/17 tyre and never had any adverse effects when I used it as a spare.

On the same note, i'm surprised you have a 19" alloy that actually fits underneath on the standard wheel carrier.

Its all to do with the rolling radius of the wheel / tyre combination.

I have 235/50R18 tyres on Amarok steels and the spare is a 215/65R16 on a standard steel. The difference in diameter is MM so negligible.

Last edited:

Did you find a solution to your spare wheel issue? I’ve just bought a T6 Caravelle and was really surprised to find a matching alloy spare underneath. I started looking on’t’internet for a cover as it seems a real shame for an alloy to tarnish under the van just like you said, but seeing posts about spare wheel theft I wonder if I should swap this out for a steel, and probably a cover too. Nice helo pic btw!

Back