Spare Wheel size when running 20”

Hi, I’ve recently picked up a converted t6 van and replaced the standard wheels with 20”. The van didn’t come with a spare. I am looking at picking one up to go in the holder at the rear. Can I go for a standard spare, any recommendations? Will there be an issue that I have 20” alloys on the van and if I use a standard 16” with a flat. Can I fit a larger wheel in the holder? Thanks in advance!

The best size spare to go for is a 17” wheel (as this will fit if you have BIG brakes) with a 215/60/17 tyre…. any tyre wider than that won’t/may not fit in your standard spare wheel carrier.

@Ragster13 is local and often has spare wheels for sale so he might be worth a shout?

Last edited:
That’s great, thanks for all the advice. I don’t know if I’m imagining things but since I’ve fitted the 20” wheels I’m sure the van has developed more creaks/ knocking sounds at the front. Could this be as the standard suspension is setup for 16” wheels? Is it possible it’s the shockers / springs making the noise?

You might have the drop links starting to wear. You would notice the noise when travelling slowly in a straight line over bumps.

You might have the drop links starting to wear. You would notice the noise when travelling slowly in a straight line over bumps.
Thanks. This is the first van I’ve owned and the front end does seem a lot noisier than a car. Should it generally be quite quiet or is this typical? It can be a bit creaky when turning and going over a bump at low speed. It’s a t6 on an 18 plate but I would hope the steering rack isn’t getting worn at this age. Thanks.

Thanks, that’s really helpful! I am looking at lowering the ride height. It’s sitting way up there now. Are there any springs you would recommend?

I used to have a T5 sportline which had standard shocks with 30mm lower springs from new.
It held the road well on the corners but it was a very hard ride.
My latest van has bilstein b14 komfort which is lower by 40mm on the highest setting and 70mm lowest.
Still great road holding but also very comfortable.

Hi, I’ve recently picked up a converted t6 van and replaced the standard wheels with 20”. The van didn’t come with a spare. I am looking at picking one up to go in the holder at the rear. Can I go for a standard spare, any recommendations? Will there be an issue that I have 20” alloys on the van and if I use a standard 16” with a flat. Can I fit a larger wheel in the holder? Thanks in advance!

Back