Spare wheel + fittings to replace gunk & compressor

Jezmondo71

Kombi T30 Edition 150 Manual SWB MY2018
VIP Member
Hiya,

Quick question, I have an T6 Edition and these only come with a can of gunk and a compressor, I'm a bit old school and much prefer to know I have a spare wheel available should I need it.

To that end I have purchased the spare wheel bracket and bolts kit and now need to get a suitable wheel.

My fitted wheels are the original Cascavel 17" Alloys fitted with 235/55/R17

IMG_6793.JPG

Can someone confirm that the OEM spare would be 17" Steel fitted with 215/60/R17? Like Flea-bay item pic below?

s-l1600.jpg

Alternatively if anyone on here (in Cornwall) has any kicking around?

HI Sorry to start a new thread but looked at a few which had bits of the answers, I have aftermarket alloys on my 2018 T30 which has bigger brakes fitted, the Edition only came with gunk and compressor, can some one please confirm what i will need to fit a steel spare (17 inch) i am assuming in the underslung well area please, ie spare wheel bracket, bolts (part no's or recommendations where to source would be great thanks in advance) i can then source a 17 inch s[are either on here or e bay, or of anyone has what i need that would be even better, many thanks

Hi @malcharr17, I recently purchased the following for my 2018 Edition T30 (which has the original Cascavel 17" Alloys fitted with 235/55/R17)

Spare wheel bracket and fixings @£150 from VW Van Parts Direct weblink
Picked up a 2nd hand 215/60/17 steel with 5mm Michelin tyre from e-bay for £65 + £10 postage from halmerendwheelandtyres_ltd

Haven't had a chance to fit it all yet and no one replied to my post so presuming it's the correct size wheel etc. Looks correct from initial review of items :)

My T32 came with 17” Devonports and a steel 17” spare that looks like the one in the OP photo. My van also has the larger brakes.

Ironically, I have switched from carrying a spare to the gunk, puncture repair kit and compressor option, as my spare wheel well is filled with an 85 litre LPG tank.
I still like to throw the spare in the back when going to Europe though.

Trust me, you won't get a 16" steel spare on a van with 17" alloys wheels if it has the bigger brakes. I have a wasted Sunday finding out!

Thanks a lot for all the advice, the van didn't come with a jack either so will have to rely on the Gunk and the RAC i suppose when the gunk doesn't do the job!........

Double check the usual jack locations (rear passenger side quarter behind the wheel arch, under the lift up double passenger seat)

Sounds daft but I know of one poster here that found the "official" jack under the seat after owning the van for a fair while and buying a jack...

Thanks a lot, yep have done, the rear quarter plastic carrier just has the towing eye and a screwdriver? and its captains chairs so no storage to passenger seat, but thanks again, cheers

To be honest I'm not sure how much use the jack is. Having recently needed to swap over to the spare following my pothole incident I was very glad to get VW Assist to turn up with a proper hydraulic jack and a battery impact wrench rather than trying to balance the van on very small scissor jack and then jump up and down on a short wheel wrench...

Back