Split-Chargers & Bluemotion

Hi Romany, unfortunately you are indeed wrong. You might get away with that setup for very light usage but no good for what you want. However all is not lost.
If you go onto my website and read through the Advice and Suggestions half way down the home page your migraine should disappear. You will also find on the Split Charge page an upgrade kit for what you have to convert the charging to a more efficient system. You will also find all of the other electrical items that you are likely to need for your conversion. www.travelvolts.net

Sorry to jump on an existing thread, I've tried to read most posts to find the answer I need but didn't quite get it. Due to order a new van and planned on putting two leisure batteries in the rear (similar setup I have in current van)

However was unaware of potential VSR issues, so am I better off getting a secondary battery fitted by VW at new? Then add an additional battery to that setup?

Whats the best option here?

Lastly if went for a VW install where do they put the secondary battery, under the seat?

Thanks in advance.

The VW option is no good as it is still relay based. For a twin battery set up I recommend the Redarc BCDC1240-LV Electrics | Travelvolts

Thats poor of VW to sell an inferior kit then is it not?

Thanks @travelvolts I have been on your website earlier this morning. Would the Redarc BCDC1240 be better than getting a CTEK Dual 250SA?

Does anyone know, with swivel seats can leisure batteries still be installed underneath?

The 1240 would be better for a twin battery set up but for a single just use the 1225. No problem with factory swivels.

The 1240 would be better for a twin battery set up but for a single just use the 1225. No problem with factory swivels.

Okay maybe it’s the 1240 I should go for then.

I was only thinking of the CTEK for warranty and also to add the smartpass and charger for 240 hook up too if and when needed.

What’s best options then for it all?

I don't think you would benefit from having a smart pass on a T6, in fact, it could end up damaging the leisure battery by letting the high voltage generated under braking straight through to the battery. I would go for the Redarc 1225 and fit the mains hook up kit with a Victron IP65 12/7 Blue Smart battery charger.
Electrics | Travelvolts

I don't think you would benefit from having a smart pass on a T6, in fact, it could end up damaging the leisure battery by letting the high voltage generated under braking straight through to the battery. I would go for the Redarc 1225 and fit the mains hook up kit with a Victron IP65 12/7 Blue Smart battery charger.
Electrics | Travelvolts

Thanks! The 1240 would be better (40a) for my twin lesuire battery setup though right? Rather than the 1225?

Just trying to plan ahead and get it right first time. Ha!

Reactions: Loz
Travelvolts fitted a elogic charger in my T5 a few years back and it works fantastically. I'm going to be away in the van again this summer but will be stationary and off grid for a few days. Am I correct in thinking that on tick over alone over the leisure battery will not charge as the alternator will only be charging the main battery? I'm only running a compressor fridge off the leisure battery which normally lasts about 3 days so wondering if I can top it up by running the engine? I'm guessing not?

If you have a standard split charge relay it will charge for a bit until the starter battery reaches 80% then the alternator will be idle. If you have a DC-DC charger it will charge as it will draw enough current to keep the alternator charging.

Thanks Loz. Ok that's good to know although I expect it's not great to let a diesel engine idle for long periods often as it will be running cold. I guess a solar panel would be a good addition to keep the leisure battery topped up?

Travelvolts fitted a elogic charger in my T5 a few years back and it works fantastically. I'm going to be away in the van again this summer but will be stationary and off grid for a few days. Am I correct in thinking that on tick over alone over the leisure battery will not charge as the alternator will only be charging the main battery? I'm only running a compressor fridge off the leisure battery which normally lasts about 3 days so wondering if I can top it up by running the engine? I'm guessing not?

For what it's worth , my T6 , with factory fitted 2nd battery, does fully charge the 2nd battery and, it also does it if I am camping out with no plug in power .(which I do often) I only have waeco CF50 fridge going all the time, and lights going at night, but only need to run engine daily and 2nd battery fully charged again.......I know I have been told that technically , the VW factory fit will not work this way, but I can only go on what I have found in practice over the last year.
I went through all decision making about ordering factory VW second battery option and am extremely happy that I did.
At the price charged by VW for the option, I feel it is great value and if it does not work the way you would like after you use your van, you still have a good AGM battery to then fit whatever you think you need.

I have a plug in voltmeter...lower cigarette lighter for main battery....12.5v......top dash 12v outlet....12.8v

I have a plug in voltmeter...lower cigarette lighter for main battery....12.5v......top dash 12v outlet....12.8v
Have you read the first page of this? How To Fit Travelvolts Dc-dc Charger Kit as I explained the downside of the relay VW are still using, I agree that having the second VW battery option is a great start as it gets all the wiring connected up for you, but you will need to replace the relay if you want optimum charge and more capacity (runtime) of your leisure battery.

Re: 12v dash sockets

AFAIK they both are powered from the starter battery. I know they are on mine, but I don’t have a factory fitted 2nd battery.

I do have a CTEK as my relay the converter fitted didn’t charge properly.

Back