Split-Chargers & Bluemotion

Hi Martyn,

That's roughly the plan, I have bypassed the blade fuse for now and will replace it with a screw down 40A maxi fuse when I get home. I've got lugs and crimper etc. to do the job properly just not here in France! Currently I don't have any reservations about the 100A maxi fuse in the 'E' box as it is fed by a bus-bar from the main battery feed and my 15mm cable onwards to the distribution under the left front seat. I will pop a meter across it just to see if there is significant drop when I get chance.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Rod

Just remember that every connection, no matter how well made or heavily constructed can cost as much as a tenth of a volt, dissimilar metals/constructions etc

Hi Travelvolts,
I have a 16 plate T6 T30 diesel and want to fit a leisure battery under the drivers seat (non swivel) and may think about solar at a later date.
What do you recommend?
Cheers

Oh yeah, sorry
Just a regular set up fridge, wallas cooker and led lighting with a couple of usb's for phone charging and probably a tv. Still thinking about solar, something we can add on later? And the van has 240 plug in.
Can I match the leisure battery to the van one or do I have to buy two?
Thanks again

OK, thanks. I would advise you to look at the CTEK Dual 250SA. This will do the job for you and is also solar ready should you want to add this later. The best battery to go with this is the Xtreme 110 AGM. Your existing van battery will be fine as is.

travelvolts
travelvolts

Fantastic, do you have all this in stock? And also what solar panel would you recommend?
Thanks again for taking the time to help me out

Yes, all in stock for NWD delivery. Any of the self adhesive panels will be good for you. Probably the 150 watt is a good match.

Thanks again for your help, just ordered while sat by the pool in Sao Paulo looking forward to putting it all in when I get back. When it works, technology is wonderful. Happy Diwali everyone

So it looks like the newer T6 models with BMT (with start stop) have a factory fitted DC-DC 180w voltage stabiliser (J532) wich works in connection with the BCM and The (J367) battery monitor...........

still trying to work out the diagrams as the Elsawin wiring diagram is in german for the info, . . . . . but it looks like the DC-DC stabiliser kicks in when the starter/regen stuff is going on.

maybe this is what is smoothing out the power delivery to the onboard 12v system and possibly the leisure battery.... its on the other side of the voltage stabilizer. (maybe)

batt mon.JPG

batt mon 2.JPG

batt mon3.JPG

batt mon4.JPG

Dont get too excited, the split charge is just a 150A relay controlled by the BCM. J7 on this diagram.
Battery_Fuse_SA3.png

Last edited:
The the J367 battery monitor and the alternator are connected to the LIN Bus and are ECU controlled, not just switched on/off more PWM or % controlled.

reading between the lines:

ECU monitors the starter battery, state of charge, state of health, voltage, current in/out via the J367 on the battery.
ECU keep alternator output a % high for first 13mins after cold start.
ECU kicks in (J532) DC-DC stabilizer during start/stop/regen functions to stabilize on board 12vdc supply.
ECU determines how hard the alternator will regen the starter battery as per the mapping and what it believes the battery state to be

so what this means for the VW Factory leisure battery install im not sure as i cant find the page, its all german. (but i might be on the smoothed side of the stabilizer)

prob explains why the VSR/Relay method is a NO NO.

Stupid German Diagrams . . . . . i can see the J532 & J367 listed for a MY2018 T6 (CXEB) (with BMT).

they show the J367 current shut on the battery for monitoring, and also the J532 for the DC-DC voltage stabilizer.

it looks like the J532 just connects back into the 15A terminal to BOOST any volt drop/smooth any spikes. (but having trouble following it)

so...... is the newer MY2016 onwatrds with BMT start/stop/REGEN with the J367 & J532 just using a BCM controlled relay like the T5?

or is there something else going on?

batt mon4.JPG

batt mon5.JPG

batt mon6.JPG

@Dellmassive see my post in between yours above.
Hey Loz. Yes I saw that. But double checked it as it didn't show the battery monitor module.....

Wasn't sure if there was difference from the 2015 to the 2017 model.

So is this just "case closed" and if the VW factory leisure battery install is via a relay then we can all just fit a big relay or VSR?

Was looking at the ctek or sterling Dc-DC charger setup........but now I'm unsure.

Do we go down the relay/VSR route...... or Dc-DC charger?

To get an idea where im coming from, this was the build up to joining in on this post . . . . .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We use our Van (T5.1 GP) as a commercial mobile engineering unit. the back if full of kit so we have limited space for a big battery bank.

we work (off grid) from the back of the van and do things like, charge 18v battery power tools, light bar on roof, run 240vac power tools run temp 240vac power, run laptops and networking kit etc etc etc...... now all this is mostly powered from the inverter and leisure battery. (we carry a honda generator too, but mostly use the van for power).

We may be "on site" for 5-8hrs and drawing power from the inverter anywhere from 90w-1500w........

The inverter is a COTEK 1500w pure sinwave and will draw over 100Amps on full load......(but mostly running 50%)

Now the current setup is in our T5.1. we have a 100amp split-charge relay system connected from the starter the leasure battery (both batteries uprated to the biggest we could fit in the space) and a 180amp alternator on the 2.0ltr engine Non-BMT.

So in the morn/eve the leisure battery is charged up from the alternator on the way home/to site (about 4hrs total) so when we are on the job we start using stuff from the inverter,...... now under 500w load all is well and the battery will power but over say 700w the inverter draws so many amps from the battery and we get low-volt alarms....so the current solution is to start the van.

The 14.4v 180amp alternator will start to feed the leisure battery and help power the inverter.... weve used DC Clamp meters to meter out the current paths and so far the solution has worked well for us over the last 5 years......now having said that the we have gone through 3 leisure batteries over the time as the deep cycling slowly kills the capacity..... then at the end of the day we drive home and fully charge the leisure battery as well as run all the power tool chargers on the inverter ready for the next day.

Now its finaly time to move up to a T6 2.0l 204ps BMT and was looking at swapping out our 100amp splitcharge system for a 100amp VSR to do away with the old skool relay.........then found out about the smart alternator and regen system.

so our current solution of starting the van when we need more power to the inverter/battery bank may not work, and also the drive to/from site will not charge the via the split charge system.

we started looking into it and the 100amp DC-DC are huge size and stupidly expensive..... so it seems the options above are feasible. ........ which is where the amps charging capacity comes into it.

sterling does the 30 or 60amp version but even with that if the inverter is drawing more than 60amps for any lengh of time then the leisure battery will quickly just die on us.....

also reading the DC-DC manuals they all state that the prefered method is with ignition feed as the auto system works by detecting the increased volts from the regen cycle......... when the van is stationary ticking over the dc-dc charger will just shut off after a short while, sterling has a setting to decrease the trigger level for static running but may discharge the starter battery in certain circumstances . . . . . .

So we have some time before the new van arrives and are looking for solutions to our situation. it was easy for the Euro5 T5 van, but seems to be more challenging on the T6 BMT. .....

any ideas?

140A relay -?
VSR - ?
DC-DC charger - ?

I've seen all the adds and YT vids from SterlingPower about the Wows of BMT and regen and had me convinced that DC-DC was they way to go.

but now looking at the schematics for the 2017 BMT T6 its just showing the old-skool relay setup............what gives!!!!!

Back