SoLow and 20’s

Its common knowledge that very low vans have alignment issues , Adjustable bushes help ( +- 0.9 degrees ) but cant stop the inevitable ! rear wheels tracking off centre which is caused because the lower control arms are working at an angle they should never be at. Tracking the car up very low with adjustable bushes will allow the rear wheels to go into green on the alignment machine . BUT every time you hit a bump the toe will go out of alignment because of the arc angle of the control arm , this is virtually impossible to stop and excessive tyre wear will result in some form or another , We have seen reports of Van owners getting 2000 miles on a rear tyre ?? we have also seen owners with vans only 70 to 80 mm lowered getting 5000 miles on rear tyres , there are no rules for this because its all excessive and alignment centres dont know how to track them to solve these issues normally . ( Kwik fit nationally were instructed not to track a transporter if it was lowered at all never mind 130 mm )

Fitting the adjustable bushes will do no harm what so ever , but once the tow and camber are pulled back into spec on an alignment machine if you then have rubbing issues after doing this change the tyre size or wheel its that simple . This isn't rocket science .
Also be careful if the tyre is rubbing on the plastic inner liners because once its through the plastic there is always metal behind somewhere .

I understand this is controversial because there are lots of people who like low low vans , and will defend their choices to the death , People who know us, also know that we dont do huge drops because of the related problems and the points i am touching on above . We of course get to talk to owners who have done the excessive drops and hated it , it does take all sorts but people researching this issue should listen to a balanced opinion not just several people who have done it , this is what forums are actually for . Healthy debate on mods and problems .
We will be fitting out a state of the art alignment and set up centre here at a new office ( Behind our existing one ) it will have everything we need to set up any suspension including Race cars , track day and fast road cars which is where James and I cut our teeth of course , corner weighting equipment as well for the really keen enthusiasts .

I am presently advising the court in a case for a client who was sold a dodgy van and its directly related to what i am discussing here . Cant say too much till the case is settled but it will be food for thought .

OK i have lit the touch paper !! Ha ha

I e got a t32 on Solows, currently have 20mm left to wind down on the front and my brake hoses are bent right up not giving much room for bumps, is this the same for you and have you done anything to rectify? TIA

I e got a t32 on Solows, currently have 20mm left to wind down on the front and my brake hoses are bent right up not giving much room for bumps, is this the same for you and have you done anything to rectify? TIA
This is one of the issues when going too low , longer brake pipes might help , owners of vans on air. Get the brake pipes properly kinked and this isn’t a good thing when aired out

I’m on solows at full heigh on 20x9 255/35/20. Had an alignment last year. All in the green except for the camber. Just had polybushes installed and adjustable ones on the back. Went for an alignment today. Turns out the guys had no idea what they were doing. Tried telling me there was no camber adjustment and that I had been conned. The whole time the adjusting wrenches that came with the bushes was still on the front seat in the van and they clearly haven’t done them before. After much awkward pointing out of their mistake and showing them where the adjustable bushes are, rather than admit they didn’t know what they was doing they sent me on my way wheels still with the camber I arrived with claiming they had done their best. Fantastic. Anyone know a good place to take it to in Scotland ?

Take it to Robert, Dentzap. He has racing experience and will sort your van no
Worries. Not cheap, 120 quid but worth all your cash.

Back