Solar suitcase set up

Boppypop

I think my last post got deleted possibly for pics of manual I used, sorry.

Please could someone cast eye over proposed set up for solar suitcase and help me with the following? (total novice so please total layman's terms) Huge delay over the last year with poorly daughter and now wanting to finally get on with this set up

Objective is to power dometic style 50l fridge over long weekends and phones on the USB ports.

Please see sketch of what i think I've worked out I need to do - anything glaringly missing or wrong?

What AWG do I need for battery to charge controller tray cables?

Where do I need to put inline fuses and do you have advice on which ones to buy?

What can go from load ports on charge controller or is this best left empty?

Is it possible to trickle charge vehicle battery if there's ever any excess power?

My leisure battery is under drivers seat, I think the only feasible place to mount charge controller is on the left side of the fridge unit where there is a gap behind drivers seat, with a wirebox. Concerned it may get knocked and aesthetically not ideal but I don't think there are any other options?

20230624_141422.jpg
IMG_20210905_174204_060.jpg

I think my last post got deleted possibly for pics of manual I used, sorry.

Please could someone cast eye over proposed set up for solar suitcase and help me with the following? (total novice so please total layman's terms) Huge delay over the last year with poorly daughter and now wanting to finally get on with this set up

Objective is to power dometic style 50l fridge over long weekends and phones on the USB ports.

Please see sketch of what i think I've worked out I need to do - anything glaringly missing or wrong?

What AWG do I need for battery to charge controller tray cables?

Where do I need to put inline fuses and do you have advice on which ones to buy?

What can go from load ports on charge controller or is this best left empty?

Is it possible to trickle charge vehicle battery if there's ever any excess power?

My leisure battery is under drivers seat, I think the only feasible place to mount charge controller is on the left side of the fridge unit where there is a gap behind drivers seat, with a wirebox. Concerned it may get knocked and aesthetically not ideal but I don't think there are any other options?

View attachment 203309
View attachment 203310
following this as I am thinking the same but with a 200 watt solar suitcase

In response to your starter battery charging question I have seen another post on here saying it's possible to run the solar to the starter battery then let the DC charger take care of the leisure battery which is an interesting concept but I'm not sure of the reality. For instance, I know it wouldn't work in my current setup as the DC charger only switches on with ignition BUT I think it's possible to change this to turn on once a certain voltage is seen. In my setup the suitcase has a built in controller that would make connecting easier (posi on the battery, earth to body?) BUT (again) I'm not sure how the controller would handle measuring voltages on my LA starter and LiPO4 leisure. I'd imagine I'd set the solar controller profile to LA then let the DC charger take care of the LiPO4 but I've yet to test this. May have time next weekend to test so I will let you know.

Just read my charger manual.

WARNING: the BB shall start up by mode 1 voltage parameters if there is a line feeding the ignition at <4V. We have done this to allow users to put solar or an AC to DC charger onto the starter to enable the BB to charge the leisure / aux battery without running an additional ignition supply.

Good news there then. Best of both worlds. Will kick in with the engine running or with solar connected to the starter battery.
So the question now is how will the solar controller on the suitcase handle the starter battery voltage? If the starter is it 100% it should stop routing power from the solar which then wouldn't charge the leisure battery. Keen to test but I have chores to complete before I can start playing :)

Just wondering why more leisure setups dont use this method of charging via the DC? Seems to reduce the wiring required considerably with the benefit of charging the starter when the leisure is full.

Back